Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Confused TC cactus

greendale
10 years ago

Poor guy, he is so excited for camping outside, he is flowering and forgets that he suppose to flower around thanksgiving ;)

Comments (8)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

greendale,
    Mine just stopped flowering a couple weeks ago. It had a total of 11 flowers.

I love the color of your TC's flowers, that's a shade of pink I've never seen before!

Planto

{{gwi:90386}}

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

What's going on?? My TC is budding, too. Second time since May. It's inside, near a shady south window.

Green, I too love your TC's flower colors. I've seen light/almost transparent flowers at HD, but they were in large containers, and cost a small fortune.

Hey Planto...your TC blooms are also gorgeous. They look orange/salmon. Amazing, your TC has many flowers considering the time of year!

So, what happens after TC's flower die? Do they need a rest period?
    Every book/website on TC care suggests, after the last bloom dies, TC/CC/EC requires a 5-6-week rest period which means little water and no fertilizer.

I've never seen a site, 'definately not in books,' where the author or commenters remark on what to do with TC's that bloom in summer.

Oh well, :) Toni

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Toni,
    Hmm, I didn't think about it haha. I've just been watering it as usual. It's starting to develop new leaves now, so I think withholding water wouldn't be a good thing. Whether I'm doing the "correct" thing or not, I'm not sure.

Planto

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The color might just be sunburn:)
    it was more like salmon when it flowered indoor last winter. Wish I still have the picture to upload.
    Plato- yours looks overjoyed with so many flowers on

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

Some holiday cacti flower twice a year, I don't think you have to do anything. Just water and fertilize as usual.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

No, sorry, to disagree.

I would withhold fertilizer completely for at least 2 months. But I don't think I'd withhold water going into summer months.

(Hiya Toni, welcome back, missed ya.)

Beautiful blooms for you all, very nice!

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

My yellow TC is blooming again. It was forming buds in Aoril and May outside. I brought it in many of those nights because it got too cold at night. We also had a crazy wet spring here in New England so it was rained on plenty. it hasn't had one bud drop. Go figure.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yep, keep on fertilizing regularly and watering as usual. This is the prime growth period. Don't starve your poor plants when they need it most!

Josh