Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiderplant_gw

Tell me your favorite house plant!!!

spiderplant
17 years ago

Everyone post! Share your favorite house plant, and maybe a story or something about it. As house plant freaks lets share our favorites and our experiences.

Comments (38)

• andyzoob
    17 years ago

my favorite houseplant is a Begonia Rex
    {{gwi:95898}}

It is my first houseplant.

• rose4mom
    17 years ago

i love my Calthea three colors like a peacock. Hope it survives for a long time....Sue

• greenjude
    17 years ago

I can't possibly pick one favorite...am I the only one??

Jude

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Nope! I have about 5 favorites. Here are a few:

{{gwi:95899}}

{{gwi:95900}}

{{gwi:95901}}

{{gwi:95902}}

{{gwi:95903}}

{{gwi:95904}}

Cant pick one, the others will hear! LOL

Jen

• wannagreenthumb3
    17 years ago

my ponytail palm

• GrowHappy
    17 years ago

I can't pick a favorite. I have MANY. It would be easier to pick my least fav. LOL Right now, I am particularly fond of my Oncidium Sharry Baby Sweet Fragrance. It smells like chocolate/vanilla and fills my daughter's room with it's sweet aroma. When something else is blooming, that will become my favorite for that time period.:)))))

GH

• gonzyro
    17 years ago

Coleus, for their beauty; Pothos for their versatility; Spiderplants for their easiness; Violets for their color, Bromeliads for their magnificence; succulents for how interesting they are....Dracanea simply because they´re gorgeous...I don´t have any other houseplants, but I´m so very happy with what I have....I feel getting more would be cheating on them.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

LOL, guess I'm not the only person who can't chose just one. Let's see, citrus are my love for flowers/fruit, calatheas, rare philodendrons, hibiscus, gardenias and jasmine..Toni

• naturelover_mtl
    17 years ago

One? Wow, that's really tough LOL...there are so many.

If you twist my arm real hard and force me to choose ONLY one, I'll choose my Sago Palm...

No wait...my Alocasia...no no...my Yucca...wait, I changed my mind again...my Aglaonema (oh, but which one???)...okay, I'll choose my Dracaena (oh no...there are too many of those too)... Darn, you see? I can't choose only one! All of the above...:)

• ooojen
    17 years ago

I have lived in the same house for many years, and I've limited myself to one guy (my husband)-- other than in those two fields, I crave variety and I'm not good at choosing favorites of anything.
    The nice thing about having a varied collection is that there's always something to suite whatever my mood may be, and always something blooming/growing/making seeds/just looking its best.

• ooojen
    17 years ago

I could add that in the last couple weeks, shingling Aroids (Rhaphidophoras, especially) have been near the forefront.

(...and just for the record, I have changed the house a bit, and I did look around some before I picked the guy I married.)

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Hi all,

That's a hard one, but I would have to say that my favorite plants are my African Violets.

Larry

• spiderplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I am a tye between english ivy and spider plants. I think they are both awesome.

-Drew

• eileen_plants
    17 years ago

I love my schefflera...and my corn plant. Both are doing beautifully and look great...would that I could say the same for my ferns!

• hajir
    17 years ago

My pregnant Onions!!

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

My ZZ plant is a crowd stopper and it is just so easy to grow. My boston fern looks great. My jade collection is really dear to me as are the several sanseveria that I have.

• ninecrow
    17 years ago

The Poinsettia, When I was training at College this was the plant I trained on... If this makes Sense... LOL
    Then Passion Flowers...
    Think that's it... LOL

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

If we are talking about plants we have in our house, I have a spider plant named Sean that I've had for over thirty years.

However, this house does not have windows configured for ease of houseplant growth. I only have about six which is the lowest amount since I was twelve or so.

As soon as I get my greenhouse together I'll be loading up and definately can't choose a favorite although I'm partial to ferns, Aglaonemas, Philodendrons, Gesnariads......

• soundgarden
    17 years ago

AUGH!!!! Here come the tears:(
    I had to leave all of my favorite plants in Colorado when we moved back to New Orleans last month. A ficus, something that looks like jagged marijuana (very popular plant, just can't think of name). dieffenbachia, swiss cheese plant, a HUGE pothos. a variegated ginger, a variegated peace lilly and a gagillion succulents. I gave them all to the lady who owned the house we were staying in because her house had a greenroom in the front. Oh well, since I've been back I've been concentrating on the gardens and propagation and in the winter I will work on building my house plants back up. I have a few small ones, but I have to clean them a lot because of all the construction dust.

• ines_99
    17 years ago

HOYAS!!!!

• LibbyLiz
    17 years ago

All my Pothos'/Scindapsus'!!! They're by far the best plant for my breen thumb.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

soundgarden,
    False Aralia listed as either Dizygotheca elegantissima or Schefflera elegantissima, not sure which is currently correct is most likely your plant that looked like pot.

Sorry you had to leave them behind.

• cymbidiumlover
    17 years ago

used to be neanthabella palms because there so big and bold but yet graceful, now i think it's streptocarpus which i have been enjoying since they seem to flower all year long

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Thought I'd start this back up again. I have bought many plants already in the past few months that are turning into favorites : ) Spider plant 'Bonnie', Gold dust Dracaena, Pilea 'Moon Valley', goldfish plant, & Rabbits foot fern. I have a gorgeous peachy Thanksgiving cactus I think I'm going to love. My old faithfuls are still Snake plants, Aglaonema, philodendrons, Dracaena, Pothos, Dieffenbachia and Peperomia. I love them all!

Jen

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Hi Soundgarden,

I guess I missed the post of yours. As a fellow Coloradoan, let me tell you how sorry I am that you had to give up all of your plants. I had a similar experience when I move to Colorado from Washington D. C. It was in the middle of the winter, Christmas of 1983, when I moved. I knew there was no way that those plants would make it cross country. So I did the noble thing and gave them all away to good homes. We wound up staying at my parents house and my ex-wife's parents houses in two opposite ends of Nebraska during that trip. It was a good decision to give them away, because that was the coldest December in Nebraska history. I think we had temperatures below zero for around two weeks straight. Still it was painful. The only consolation was that I was able to go out and buy more plants. :o)

As long as we are revising our favorite plants list, I would say that my favorite plants are all of my gesneriads. I have African violets, Streptocarpuses, Columneas, Kohlerias, Chiritas, Sinningias and an Alsobia. My favorite non-gesneriad plant has to be my Ceropegia woodii or String of Hearts. I think the blooms are really cool and the leaves aren't bad either.

Larry

• bizzylizzy
    17 years ago

My current favorite is the Hatiora Salicornioides - I like it for it's gnarly look and I also hope to see some flowers on mine someday. I also like my peperomia (not sure of i.d.) it has glossy green rubbery leaves - some branches grow upright and the side ones trail - totally interesting plant, (I should post a pic. in gallery for the i.d.). I concur, it is difficult to pick one favorite - lol.

• easybaked
    17 years ago

my favorite plant is my mom's boston fern, which is older than I am, and about 5 ft. across. Its thick, and lush and completely unruly. I have my own, and its always touch and go, so when ever i go home, I just stand in awe of this plant, which has been there my entire life... pretty impressive.

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

Wow easybaked! I use to pine over a fern that sat in the east window of a farm house. It filled up the picture window. Although I only saw this plant from afar, it is still a plant that I think about often. I am envious. My fern is dropping leaves like crazy right now but it will perk up in the spring. Does your mothers plant always look wonderful. Does she mist it.

• pattirose4
    17 years ago

Anyone know what the 4th plant down is called in tjsangel's post? I got some cuttings from one that looks like that at the mall and am trying to root it?

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Do you mean the plant with the large green leaves? That's my Philodendron 'Moonlight.' It likes morning sun, not too much water and the new leaves are a chartreuse color. Not sure how easy they are to root, shouldnt be too hard. Maybe someone will chime in here.

Jen

• pattirose4
    17 years ago

That's a very pretty plant but now that I look closely it's not the same. There are many leaves on the stem not just one and the stem is full of water, but the leaves and stem look identical. I'll try and post a picture tommorrow in a new topic.

• irishdescended
    17 years ago

Well that can change at different times. Depending on whats added to my collection, but right now its my ficus tree my husband got me for my birthday. Its called ficus "nightingale" and has great variegation. The inner part of the leaves are blotched green with the outer edges a light green. I find myself staring more at that one lately and the fact it was a present I would have to choose that one.

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

Right now my favorite has to be my ceropegia woodii.

• gabro14
    17 years ago

As common as these are (compared to my other "rarer" and "different" hoyas), I'd have to say my hoya carnosas are my favorite plants. Not only is the foliage gorgeous, but they are what started me on my plant addiction (now I don't know whether to hate them or love them).
    Here are some pics of one of them...

Whole plant:
    {{gwi:95905}}

Close up (top view):
    {{gwi:95906}}

Biggest leaf (I just love how waxy and shiny they are):
    {{gwi:95907}}

• seaecho1
    17 years ago

I had to think about this a while, as I have quite a variety. In the end, though, the winner is one of the most common and easiest to grow - Syngoniums. I like the new Allusion series. I have Plum Allusion and Neon Tetra. The Neon Tetra is bright pink and the Plum Allusion is, well. . . plum colored! I also love my Fire Flash spider, Bonnie spider and classical spider a lot. My Gold Dust dracaena is just stunning. And of the orchids, the paphs are my favorites.

• mandi_s1
    17 years ago

Monsterosa Deliciosa -swiss cheese plant fer sure. I love it. It makes beautiful leaves almost daily for me just for the happiness of being in my bathroom. It's not mature yet, so no split leaves yet, but I wait impatiently begging each new unrolling leaf to have a sign of a split in the making. It's such a happy plant, so pretty, so vigorous, undemanding, loyal, happy, it does that guttiation thing where it makes driplets... it's just a joy to live with.

• soycandle
    17 years ago

I just started collecting houseplants this past summer, and am already up to 50! My favorite include an abutilion 'Thompsonii', a spider plant my mom gave me. African violets, China Doll plant (so pretty!) and a goldfish plant are my favorites!

I feel so sorry for the person in CO who had to give away her plants.

Lynn

• spiritualcipher
    17 years ago

Bird of Paradise. Also I like the Spath Supreme. I like large, lush foilage.