Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainydaywoman_z8

Too Many Totems

rainydaywoman_z8
14 years ago

Since seeing the garden totems here, I've nearly cleaned out the local St. Vincent de Paul store of glassware! I started at Christmas and so far have made ten: 2 green, 2 blue, 1 aqua, 1 gold, 1 red, 1 lavendar, 1 apricot & 1 light pink with an empty Chanel No. 5 bottle on the top. How do I stop? And these are mainly very very tall, as I've seen others mention---making them very tall, and then realizing that maybe less is more. I can't wait for plants to start growing so I can put them in my garden. Thanx for the inspiration!

Comments (15)

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I have had the same addiction and found that the best way to stop making totems is to start making plate flowers.....or windchimes....or bed benches.....or bowling balls....or whatever else that you decide that you like! Good Luck! And welcome to the Totem Addiction Association:-)

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Welcome. Yes they addicting. Would love to see pix of yours.

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Congratulation!?!? LOL
    I made ten last year.
    I haven't made any since winter started.
    I don't have central heat, and my house
    is too cold (I think) for the GEII to
    set up good. I can't post pictures so
    no one has seen mine so far. I did take photos
    and one day I MAY be able to get my DD to post
    some.....

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

YAH! We LOVE GJ! They will shine brightly in your gardens! Think Spring! Jeanne s.

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

I just love being in the company of another addict !!
    LOL

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

I am so sorry Rainy, but I think you may be suffering from the same addiction that many of us here on GJ have...we just can't get enough of glass in general and we love totems! I would love to see pictures of yours, so if you can, please post some! Totems can be tall or short or even put on stakes in the garden...any way you put them out, they are beautiful in the sunshine!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

I want piiiccctuuurreesss!
    Kathy

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Oh my you are addicted like the rest of us. I'm the same way with the glass bird baths. Just can't quit buying glass.
    DH said "I thought you weren't going to buy anymore"!!! I told him I changed my mind.
    Keep on junking!!!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I agree, totems are soooo much fun to make that it's difficult to stop. What I did was to quit buying glass - yes, very difficult, but like all addictions you can do it if you really, really try! Then I made as many as I could with my stash and what was left I packed in a few boxes and DH put them somewhere - I'm not asking yet where he put them! LOL I still have a couple dozen for my garden. I also made a whole bunch of glass flowers which helped use up my glass.

Of course yard sale season hasn't started yet this year and I'm sure I'll find some lovely glass I can't resist and the entire cycle will start again. Probably sell a few if/when I have a yard sale.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Just think, it went to a good cause at St. Vinnie's! he-he I'm glad I don't have a garden to put them but I sure have been tempted to make some after seeing the beauties people have posted here. I'd love to see yours too!

• rainydaywoman_z8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in the market for a digital camera, so as soon as I get one, I will post pictures of all my totems. They are sitting on the deck like a row of bowling pins, waiting for their places in the spring garden and look so nice when the sun shines.

Tomorrow I will start a bottle tree & I'm very excited to see how that turns out. (Perhaps a new addiction?) And where else would I have gotten the idea but here!

• littledog
    14 years ago

Creating gets obsessive. I've made about six or seven. Kept one and gave the rest away at Christmas. I still catch myself looking at odd glass pieces in thrift stores, wondering how they would "stack up".

And don't get me started on bottletrees; we already have a substantial sized tree made of Red Cedar in the yard, but I noticed last summer it was getting a bit wobbly. It's currently held in place by three wires until DH has a chance to teach me to weld rods on a new metal post. In the meantime, I've gathered another three boxes of fancy glass; I just can't pass up a good figural bottle. :^)

• jules127
    14 years ago

I am starting me some totems too!!! I can't wait to get'em done. I am waiting for spring so I can go to yard sales. I think GW wants too much for their glassware. I must admit I have bought'em anyways. I said I would stop til I can go to yard sales. It's very addicting. I look at glassware in a whole new way now. :)

• leaveswave
    14 years ago

Pictures, please!!

• fishtown
    13 years ago

How do I see the photos?

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus