Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nemetin

Need Help with Window Treatment Ideas for big windows that are different heights

Taz
11 years ago
Hi- Hoping there are some creative designers out there to help with our new living room window treatments. Want a soft, organic, warm feel...thinking grass roman shades and soft side drapes. BUT...two huge windows, different heights...how would you suggest to "dress" them? Where do I put the rods? Where do I mount the roman shades? Or do I just frame the windows out with wood? Note one big window butts up to slanted wall with fieplace very close. THANK YOU!!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Walsh Krowka & Associates, Inc
    11 years ago
    My suggestion is to put window treatment only on the smaller windows and focus the room on the big windows. No worries about how to make both windows look equal. Plus, you might have a code problem with flammable window treatments so close to the fireplace. Need to check the min. required clear distance from the edge of the FP to the window treatment location. That info may help you make a decision.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- Hang all window treatments up as high as they will go to line up at the same level. Blinds and big chunky rods with side drapes.Don't puddle the drapes , they should just clear the floor by 1/2 inch.
  • Taz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you to each of you for taking the time to reply - really appreciate it. The lower windows on both walls do open and help provide for a great cross breeze.

Privacy is not an issue...just pounding south-facing sun on the big windows (closest to the fireplace) that will be great in Winter and a bit hot in Summer - Hence blinds are on them right now. We just bought the place...the furniture and chair are not ours...this is a photo from the real estate listing :) so bear with me on my follow up questions ... :)

Inkwitch...I don't want the roman shades or drapes to cover any of the actual windows...more just to soften the space above the windows (roman shades) or on both sides of the windows (curtain panels). They both (or either) would be just for looks - wouldn't "use" the roman shades except to hang down to top of windows.

To block light I would install clean mount cellular shades that pull up to "nothing" and "hide" under the roman shade. So do I mount the roman shades at the top of the wall where the wall meets the ceiling and then they just hang in place and stop right where the transom starts? If I do this..the roman shades on the smaller set of windows will hang almost 4' feet before they hit the top of the transoms?

Thank you for your room layout ideas..I have attached a couple more pics...would love EVERYONE'S ideas on room layout... we will be doing the fireplace in stacked stone to ceiling (remove the current granite trim) and are going to build a custom built- in for TV and some storage to the right of the fireplace (the wall you don't see in my original pics).

Walsh Krowka - thank you too! I like your idea..never even thought of the possibility of dressing only one window. And I agree about the fireplace/flammable issue...that's why struggling with drapes...never thought I could do just one window. Would love you ideas on room layout and how to focus on just on the big window. So the window we wouldn't "dress"... we just leave bare?

lefty47 - thank you - I love these different ideas. So I mount the roman shades at the ceiling and then they hang down ~ 4' to the top of the small windows and ~2.5' to the top of the big windows? I don't think I am going to be able to do side drapes to the right of the big window (by fireplace)

Here are the full room pics - pretend all the furniture (and wall color!) is gone ! I also attached a look I like (from this site) that only has drapery panels...no roman shades. But I like the styling.

The wall where the smaller windows are is 14' , the wall where the larger windows are is 21' , high ceilings, and the wall where you currently see the TV is ~ 19'

Thank you all!
  • Taz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    sorry here are the other pics - so you can see what I am thinking for built in - one is the built in look..the other shows how we may run a beam 2/3 up fireplace and bring over to tie in to the built in.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    My suggestion is to go with the grass shades, without valances, inside mount, both windows, below the transoms. You are showing draperies in the dining room area. You might want to consider decorative wood panels between the draperies. Have a carpenter work with the pre-existing lines found in the window frame and duplicate them in your panel. I think you will find the height of the draperies with a painted (same as trim) wood panel in that area, will create a much nicer line, rather than painted wall peeking through.

Back to the grass shades....You might want to plan out your entire color scheme and know what is going where before choosing your grass shades. They can either blend into your walls, coordinate with the trim paint, or they can make their own statement with color and texture, depending on where you need color and visual weight in the room if you find you need to balance out certain colors. I think your house specifically merits the quality of the Conrad shades. They are expensive but are like none other.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    If the architecture can take it, you could install some sort of canopy or eave over the south-facing window. If it is designed properly it will shade in the summer but let the window sun (lower angle) in. The exact calculation depends on your latitude and the height of the window.
  • magarita
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    dear nemetin. i submit this design special for you. white thin material colour(curtain) with small christmas bulbs behind it (white curtain). hope you can understand me.
  • Taz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    amy more ideas on layout? or window treatments?
  • Marla Gervich
    11 years ago
    Beautiful home!
    Window Treatment Design - I recommend a Ripple Fold drape attached to a stylish traverse rod/ track system. This is a very clean fresh and modern look, well suited to your home.

Placement - Place the traverse rod above the transom, both windows. I do not have a problem with each window being different heights. I'd rather not see the rod hang below the transom window too busy.

Function- for the larger window the drape would draw from the left to the right towards the fireplace. The smaller window, again draw left to right or do a split draw, meaning the drapes placed on either side of the window and when closing they will draw towards the middle.

Fabric-the material should remain soft and light weight. No pattern, solid

Window Coverings - Either roman shades or woven woods/ grass shades inside mount. Assuming the light from the transom doesn't bother you, I recommend only covering the large windows with shades. Keep with a soft color palette

Wonderful home, great dining room!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I'm still advocating the Conrad Grass Shades without anything else. Since you have no privacy issues, this is the cleanest, most attractive treatment which will also block the sun. I'm not a fan of window treatments unless they required for privacy or to soften a window area. You don't require either one....IMHO
  • PRO
    The Curtain Exchange
    11 years ago
    When hanging rods, I always recommend hanging at the highest point. This will keep your ceilings high. You can do a combo of shades on one set and curtains on the other. I prefer inside mounts, however, with your transoms, consider an outside mount on the larger set of windows above the transoms, so not to interfere with the fireplace and provide shelter from the sun as needed. Even woven woods can have a lining put on the back with options for valances. See Hunter Douglas Woven Woods. Fabric romans could offer a softness to the room and provide blockage from e sun. I tried to attach photos of a recent install I did with curtains on the kitchen windows and fabric Romans that coordinated in the living room, however I couldn't get it to work. You can go to the Facebook page of "The Curtain Exchange of Nashville" to see the photos. Hope this helps.
  • amandawhite
    9 years ago
    Honest opinion, it looks like a mistake. I would seriously consider having a carpenter reframe the windows so they are the same height and eliminate the narrow transom below the larger window. They should really be the same in that room.
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    9 years ago
    With a view like the one you have and no need for privacy why cover it up with blinds or shades? Control the excess heat and glare from the sun and protect your furnishings from fading without losing your view by installing window film.
    You can always add something decorative in a window treatment to enhance the look and warmth of your space without losing the view. Visit www.vista-films.com to find a professional near you.
  • PRO
    Your Favorite Room By Cathy Zaeske
    9 years ago
    Hi nemetin, curious what you ended up going with? Can you post a couple of follow up photos?
    Taz thanked Your Favorite Room By Cathy Zaeske