Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydneye_gw

Why aren't my cherry red currants ripening?

sydneye
13 years ago

I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this but, bought some red and black currants this year for the first time. The blacks are ripening as they should, however, the reds turned translucent, and mildly yellow/and hay colored (kinda like the color of the seeds inside) and have started to actually disintegrate.

We had an unusually wet May, for which many of my plants practically drowned (rained for about 20-25 days, pretty much straight), and it is only now getting hot outside, we truly didn't get summer until about July 5th. Do you think this might be the cause? I'm hoping it greens up next year as well. With the great amounts of rain, the leaves are yellowing and falling off, though, it has re-greened up a bit with warmer weather.

Cheers!

Comments (6)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Do you have a name for the variety of 'red' currant you have? They sound more like white currants (same species as red). The reds start to colour before the blacks in my garden. Neither red nor black currants require much heat and they are not bothered by rain either.

Here is a link that might be useful: White currants

• sydneye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, here's what I found on the plant. They are called Cherry Red, or Ribes sativum. I tried pulling a few of the berries off to taste them, they're still not sweet, but practically all of them are starting to go bad. You are correct though, the look just like the white currants. Do you know if the white currants are less sweet? I am wondering if it was mislabeled.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    The clusters are short and loose. The berries are very large, bright dark red, acidic and good. Plants are vigorous, upright and productive. Cherry Red resists mildew, a real plus in humid areas. Zones 3-7.

Plant Characteristics
    Pest Resistance: Very Good
    Disease Resistance: Good
    Drought Tolerance: Good
    Heat Tolerance: Fair
    Sun Tolerance: Good
    Wet Soil Tolerance: Fair
    Shade Tolerance: Very Good
    Self Fertile: Yes

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Well, I can't really help much further I'm afraid. Cherry red is not a variety we grow here as far as I know. But your description matches most red currants. White currants are the same species as red (Ribes rubrum syn. sativum) but bred for a different colour. There are also a few varieties of pink currants. Black currants are a different species (Ribes nigrum).

Do you have more than one red currant bush? And are they all behaving the same? My only guess is that you have been sold a mislabelled variety. I can't think of any other reason why 'red' currants should not be red. Even when they fail to fill out or shrivel on the strig they are still red. Red currants keep well on the bush and can hang for 2 or 3 weeks as long as the birds don't get them. So if the berries are starting to disintegrate and are still not red I don't think they can be red currants.

Have you tasted the berries? If you have not grown currants before you may not be expecting such a tart berry, which red/white currants are. They never get as sweet as, for example, a raspberry or strawberry. They also taste quite different from black currants. We had a mix of red and blackcurrant compote this evening and they need quite a bit of sugar. The only white currants I have had were not, to my mind, as good as red. But I haven't really given them a fair trial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red currant info.

• sydneye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! I think you may be correct. I only bought 1 "red" and 2 black (crandall), which the black are still significantly more tart than the still kinda champagne colored berries. I'll have to try and get a red next year! And hopefully the weather will be better next year as well. It was in the 50's through June and the very beginning of July!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Well, good luck with them sydneye. I wouldn't worry about the temps. They are cool climate plants and probably wouldn't enjoy heat. They thrive in my garden and the average temp August (our hottest month) is not much higher than mid 60s f.

• HU-302264994
    3 years ago

Mine were red for a year or two but now seem to only turn yellow. Flavor is the same as when they were red. Last year, I waited for them to get red and they just rotted. So this year, I’ll just eat them and see how it goes.