Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Staking a concrete flower

loribee2
12 years ago

I'd put this question on the Landscaping forum when someone mentioned Garden Junk might be able to help. DUH! Of course!

I've made this concrete flower that I intend to mosaic and place in my garden:

{{gwi:30728}}

The original idea was that I would simply stake it into the ground like any other garden ornament. However, the flower ended up much heavier than I expected and will only get more top-heavy when I add the mosaic surface treatment. I don't think it will be stable enough to just stick in the ground as-is, considering I want the finished flower to stand 3-4' from the ground.

Now I'm thinking about sliding the rebar stem into PVC or copper tubing instead. Using a scrap piece of 3/4" pvc as my guide, it seems it will work well and I actually think the thickness of the tubing will look better aesthetically anyway. I might add some leaves, etc.

Here's my question: How can I secure the tubing to the ground without making a big ordeal out of it (i.e. setting it into a concrete footing)? I would like to be able to move them without a ton of effort.

Another idea I had was to make a circle of about 3 pieces of rebar that I stake into the ground real good, slide this one in the center then wire them all together.

Attach to a wood stake?

Ugh! I've got no idea which way to go. If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I would sure appreciate them! I was hoping to make a bunch of these to line along a wall which is why I'm looking for an easy solution.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction