Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

Geraniums in a Galvanized Mop Bucket

luvs2click
12 years ago

I fell in love with these ginormous geranium hanging baskets today at the greenhouse. I replanted it in an old mop bucket. It will be nice to be able to wheel it into the garage when a freeze is predicted (like every other night). I discovered this trick for a few years ago for an instant beautiful planter. The greenhouse near me has these hanging baskets for $10 and they contain about 5 plants that are full grown and beautiful. It is cheaper to buy one of these than to buy 5 separate plants (that aren't quite so big and beautiful). Since hanging baskets don't work for me (too windy and hot here) I always replant them into a large planter for instant pizazz. With added dirt and a larger container they don't dry out so fast like they do in those little baskets.

{{gwi:144555}}

Comments (16)

• cnm1
    12 years ago

What a great container!!I buy hanging plants to divide too - many times a great deal.

• jeaninwa
    12 years ago

I love red geraniums. That is gorgeous! I have learned that for hot and windy, line your planters with bubblewrap before adding the soil. Helps insulate them.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

What a nice combination,and i love those trailing geraniums.I'll have to get me a red one,i only have pinks and whites.
    Kathi

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh now, that is beautiful! Love the red with the galvanized! Great idea! & I understand what you are saying with 'frost' nights & wind ...same here. This is a great idea ...I'll have to be on the outlook now for an old mop bucket! TFS, luvs! Jeanne S.

• rafor
    12 years ago

That is gorgeous!!!!

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Great idea.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

P.O.P-O-Color!!!!Eye catching!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Love that look and you really got some nice geraniums. A local lumber store had gorgeous hanging baskets last month for $3.99. Talk about stocking up....thought DH was gonna take my car keys away so i'd quit going back. And that is what I did, repotted to my pots.
    Jeaninwa, thanks for the bubble-wrap tip. I've never heard that one but certainly will try it. Last year I saw a post giving directions on how to put bubble wrap on your windows to help insulate your house. Never tried it.....but there was days last summer when the heat was so bad I considered trying it!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! What a great container and I love the wheels to help move it! And what a great price....I'd definitely have jumped on that as well. Thanks for sharing with us Luvs.

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all - I just keep staring out the window at it! Jeanne - I found the mop bucket for $2 at a thrift store!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Love it!!!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Great find! & I love galvanized...maybe I'll get that lucky, luvs! I added my one 'hot pink' Geranium & Diamond Frost & Pink Gaura & Purple Salvia to a round/rope handled galvanized pot in pool garden...I'll share a pic when it gets established a little...but you inspired me to use that Geranium in there! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Your geraniums look great in the mop bucket.
    I think I have one 'somewhere'-will have to look.
    I just put an orange one in my cast-iron bathtub
    with some orange impatiens, and purple Mexican
    petunias. I know the M Ps will go crazy and I
    will probably have to pull a bunch out soon, but
    though I would try that anyway.
    I have not used bubble wrap, but have found that
    if I line ALL pots with holes with Plastic, up
    about 2 inches from the bottom in the pots, that
    I don't have to water as often.
    No, it doesn't make the roots rot. Any excess
    water will go over the top of the plastic.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Love the red with the galvanized pail. I have 1 sitting on my patio, never thought of planting it. The tip on bubble wrap sounds great too. Think I will try it on back bedroom window too, DD's room(craft room now) gets so hot in summer in afternoon. Thanks for all the ideas! Jan

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have also used disposable diapers in the bottom of pots, especially baskets, to help hold the water. The silicon in them retains the water.

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Great!! Of course now I have been searching Craigslist for a cheap mop bucket!! I will wait for a TS or tree lawn find - I will I will I will!!!! Really

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County