Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Plant in a Tonka truck?

User
17 years ago

Dh has an old Tonka dump truck from his childhood 45 years ago. I know these are collectible, but this one is well worn, and if it has value, it's at the bottom end next to those sold for parts. I thought it'd be cute in the flower bed with some blooming flower planted in the truck end. But I don't want to make it rust out faster than it already has. I thought I'd line the truck part with plastic so it won't have as much contact with water. Is there anything else I can do to keep it from rusting out?

Comments (14)

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

You could use a "clear sealant" to seal the truck from the elements. Two or three coats I think would be best.

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

If you plant succulents they don't require as much water so that would make it last longer too(-: Or you could put a potted plant in it with a saucer under the pot. Can't wait to see pictures. I still have my kids toys I was going to plant them but haven't done so yet either.

• Bright199
    17 years ago

Someone has a 'toy' garden...I have forgotten who it is. I have some of dh's toys too. Please show us pictures of the completed project.

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

I'd give it a few coats of something to seal it and keep the plants in pots and saucers as suggested.

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

Ya know what I did for my hoosier. I have one with a flour bin but it was so rusty and I wanted to use it for kids snacks.I covered the inside with contact paper. I still use it for that and my kids are all married and they have kids of their own but come over and peek into my Hoosier to see what goodies are there.Maybe the bed could be lined with clear contact for protection.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here it is. I need to find a better place in the garden though. Dh thinks it is too inviting for kids to play with where it is now. I couldn't find the Tonka dump truck, but found this one. The bed is long & narrow but maybe it will work. The only drought tolerant flower I could find was in the clearance rack at Lowe's. Hopefully it will fill out with some TLC. I lined the trailer with pond liner so it will protect the bed & hold water too.

{{gwi:145084}}

• sweets98
    17 years ago

Something else you could do later or someone else could try is plant something in a sand bucket. It would go along well with the theme I think.

My step mom used just sand buckets one summer for her porch. Money was tight and she wanted to pretty up the peeling painted porch on her rental. So she bought all colors and shapes and sizes of sandbuckets at the dollar store and planted seeds in them :)

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

that is a real jewel of a truck. Wow!!! I just went to a craft faire over the weekend and purchased a little succulent dish garden in an abalone shell. I really loved the idea and it would work in just about anything. Anyhow that idea would be so cool in your truck too. If the other plant doesn't make it then maybe a succulent arrangement would work.(-: I love your truck!!!!!
    Heres a picture of the abalone shell planted up.
    {{gwi:145086}}

• Miss_M
    17 years ago

Not a direct response to your question, but we have our son's Tonka dump truck (DS is now 24 - so truck is 22 years old). We use it in the kitchen, parked under the center island table -- it holds potatoes. Looks great and makes me smile everytime I go into the kitchen -- but every little boy that comes to visit - drives it thru the house - potatoes and all! Someday DS will want it for his children, until then we will enjoy it and the memories it brings. In response to your post -- go for it -- live with your treasures, use your treasures, putting your DH's truck in your garden will make you smile everytime you look at it.

Miss M
    In the hills of
    beautiful East Tennessee

• nonacook
    17 years ago

My DD would have a fit if I wanted to plant anything in her Tonka trucks! They are stored in the attic, but she has almost every toy that she ever recieved. She and SIL do not have children, but she wants her toys...She is 41.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dh did ask me if I had asked to play with his toys. lol But I told him I would take care of it & not leave it out in the rain. I figure it's better than it being in the attic. Maybe when your dd is a little older she won't care as much. This thing had been in mil's attic for 40 years until she made us take all dh's stuff a couple of years ago. I don't know where the Tonka dump truck is, I haven't seen it in about 10 years when I moved it from the last attic to this one.

Also found some little kerosene lanterns in the box where this truck was. I'm going to put them on the shed somewhere.

• painterchic98
    17 years ago

I have a couple of trucks planted in the garden....both had led pretty rough lives...handed down many times.
    they rank up there with my favorite pieces.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know what you mean. This one has a dented cab, worn to the rim tires, and has to be backed up to a rock to keep the tail gate up. ;)

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

I saved my two boys tractors and now the grandsons get to play with them.Cant plant in em anyway.
    miss-m I love the potato idea!What great ideas!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio