Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hocpat

Peaches

hocpat
13 years ago

Peaches finally "In". But the pits are broken and terrible; I even see white worms. I sprayed with fruit spray every 10-14 days. Are they safe to eat, the parts that I can salvage? There are a s--t load of peaches, but none look "perfect". Where did I go wrong?

Comments (8)

• misterbaby
    13 years ago

Hocpat, sorry for your misfortune. What was your spray formulary? Misterbaby.

• hocpat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your ideas. I was using, since mid March or so, and every ten days to two weeks ( 8 applications in all), All Seasons horticultural and dormant spray oil concentrate.. It says for organic gardening; maybe not strong enough?Active ingred. is petroleum oil(superior type U.R. Min 92%) (98 %) and other ingreds. which are not listed.

• olpea
    13 years ago

Hocpat,

The problem is the product you are using. Oils like these have almost no residual activity. Their mode of action is by smothering the various stages of insects on contact. They're designed to evaporate shortly after application in order to avoid foliage burn. So when you spray, you might possibly be killing some insect eggs the day you spray, but you have no protection for the next 10-14 days, which is why this program isn't working. Even organic growers would not rely solely on hort. oil to protect their fruit.

What you've been spraying is little more than spraying water, and it's unfortunate that someone convinced you this program would work. Try something that has some residual activity.

• hocpat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you--would the product you mentioned earlier, Triazicide Once and done, be the product to use? (I can't say I've seen it around here)

• olpea
    13 years ago

Yes, I would recommend the Triazicide Once and Done. It comes in different forms. The one you want is the liquid concentrate in a quart sized bottle.

Walmart and Home Depot carry it around here. Since it's a seasonal product, it may or may not be carried year round, depending on the store. It's also available on line.

Unfortunately, it's too late to do anything for this year, but try the Triazicide for next year and see how it works for you.

Good luck.

• alan haigh
    13 years ago

Once and Done is affective but you can also probably do peaches organically if that's your desire. You'll need to use Surround which has gotten me peaches here in southeastern NY although controlling brown rot as peaches ripen may become an issue. Scott can help you on this, but sulfur works well in the mix with Surround as a fungicide. Scott endorses something called Saf-t-Oil for brown rot.

Monterey Fungus Fighter is the synthetic alternative of choice for brown rot control.

Hopefully you can find these at a big box except the Surround and Saf-t-Oil will have to be ordered from Seven Springs or some other source. Probably the sulfur as well.

Modern chemistry has its advantages, believe me.

• hocpat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. What a great site this is!!