Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlm41

Should I use Scotts 'Weed and Feed' or '#2' ?

jlm41
14 years ago

I over seeded my yard on 15th April. It's been moved 3 times now. I am seeing little bit of weeds around.

I want to put another application of fertlizer with some weed control.

At bix box store I saw 2 scotts products:

1. Scotts weed and feed

2. Scotts turn builder with weed control #2

Which one should I use? Any advice/recommendations?

I am in central indiana.

Thank you.

Comments (3)

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

Save money and get better results by fertilizing with fertilizer and, two weeks after you fertilize, killing any remaining weeds by spot spraying them with a weed killer like Weed-B-Gone. If the herbicide in weed-n-feed products was time delayed and worked like that, then they would be better, but they don't.

If all you are seeing is a 'little bit of weeds' and not an entire lawn full, you might consider the Weed Hound tool.

• lamcon
    14 years ago

I love my weed hound. Our lawn is at the point that we get so few weeds (using the organic techniques, cutting, and watering that everyone suggests on here) that the few weeds that do pop up are easy to get with the hound.

What I've learned is that if you can get your turf dense enough and keep it higher, the weeds become less of an issue. It's been 2 years since I used "chemicals", and I'm very happy! Not to mention, my kiddos can play outside at all times. It's a little slower process, but the results have been worth it so far.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

Way to go lamcon. The Weed Hound is a GREAT tool! I wish I had stock in that company.

I used to do everything wrong, too. Then I started reading here and, after a few hundred posts of people having success with this or that technique, I came to realize that the cultural practices of "proper" watering and mowing are really the main part of turf care. I just never knew what "proper" was. I thought I knew from reading all the books and magazines but they were mostly wrong and/or confusing. It is as simple as 1-2-3. Here is the 1-2-3 of lawn care that I have learned here.

1. Water deeply and infrequently. Deeply means at least an hour in every zone, all at once. Infrequently means monthly during the cool months and no more than weekly during the hottest part of summer. If your grass looks dry before the month/week is up, water longer next time. Deep watering grows deep, drought resistant roots. Infrequent watering allows the top layer of soil to dry completely which kills off many shallow rooted weeds.

1. Mulch mow at the highest setting on your mower. Most grasses are the most dense when mowed tall. Bermuda, centipede, and bent grasses are the most dense when mowed at the lowest setting on your mower. Dense grass shades out weeds and uses less water when tall. Dense grass feeds the deep roots you're developing in 1 above.
    1. Fertilize regularly. I fertilize 5 times per year using organic fertilizer. Which fertilizer you use is much less important than numbers 1 and 2 above. I fertilize on the federal holidays because they are easy to remember. Using chemical fertilizers in the north you can fertilize on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. Since I use organic and I live in the south, I start on Washington's Birthday and also fertilize on the 4th of July. But don't ever apply chemical ferts in the heat of summer...only organic.