Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albertdc

Toro 20066 vs 20073 vs LawnBoy 10685 - help decide

albertdc
16 years ago

Please help me decide which mower to get. I have close to 1/2 an acre, with a moderate hill to mow. I plan on using the mulch setting rather than bagging.

I am looking at the Toro 20066 recycler vs the Lawn-Boy 10685 insight. HD also has the toro 20073, though I don't find that model on the toro websight. Any thoughts on these? (I am not willing to spend the extra for the super-recycler)....

The toro 20066 is an inch wider (a plus) and has a Briggs 6.75HP engine. The Toro 20073 at HD is the same price, but has a 6.5 HP Tecumseh engine - which engine is better? I can't tell if there are any differences besides the engine for these two mowers.

The LawnBoy is an inch narrow (21 vs 22in) and has the Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine.

Is there a difference in the mulching ability between these mowers?

Is there a difference in the functionality of the personal pace a sense-a-speed mechanisms (does one work better or is one more comfortable to use)?

Is there a difference in reliability between the toro and lawnboy (I realize that toro owns lawnbody, but one may still be higher quality than the other).

I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

Thanks, Albert

Comments (7)

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

Personal Pace and Sensa Speed are different names for the same thing. Most people like this drive system and its completely automatic - you just start mowing and the mower matches your speed. The Insight with Tecumseh has been a good mower for me, but with your half-acre to mow, I think I would take the 22". The Toro, swinging a longer blade, needs more power which is why its rated at 6.75. Really, 6.5 would be plenty. I can only speak for the Insight as far as mulching ability, and its very good. I also think either the Briggs or Tecumseh engine will do the job and last a long time with proper care.

• albertdc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you - I was thinking that 22" would come in handy... I realize that Personal Pace and sensa speed are different names for the same thing - I didn't know whether the execution as far as the handle and pushing mechanisms were the same or not. In other words, even though they do the same thing, does one of them do it better/easier or more comfortably?
    Do other people agree that both engines are good?

• tomplum
    16 years ago

Do other people agree that both engines are good?

I see cold blooded Tecumsehs on wpms aplenty, I would opt for the Briggs. The drives work real nice in either case.

• amagbanua
    16 years ago

I've got the 22 Toro with personal pace and tecumseh motor for my GF's property. Runs great, starts on the 1st pull, never wanting for more power. Drive system also has been very reliable the last 3 years. The Tec's agood motor with even pressurized lube. I run it with Penzoil Platinum 10w-30 and change it once per season. Main difference I think between a Tec and a B&S engine is that the B&S engine is probably more resistant to dirty/old fuel. You have to make sure the Tec carb is only exposed to clean/fresh fuel with stabilizer.

• kevbocometh
    16 years ago

If history is going to repeat itself i have to say go with the TORO, they are tied with Honda for most reliable according to consumer reports. thay're also known as the best mulchers on the block. i know the lawn boy and the toro's are made in the same facility nowadays(i think) but still the toro's come with a better reputation. i own several lawnmowers, toro, craftsmen, weedeater and have owned even more over the years, snapper, ariens. i bought my toro (20016) almost 4 years ago and have been trying to kill it ever since...and can't. i'll never buy anything else, it has the tecumseh lv195ea 6.5 hp. hope this helps.

• gimmick
    15 years ago

I just bought a Toro 20066 and it has revolutionized my mowing. I owned a Toro 20016 which is still going strong but was time consuming on 1/3 acre. The 20066 flies and I can jog with it and it keeps pace.

The bag on the 20066 is much better than the 20016 as it no longer 'pops off' when it hits a bump. The real wheel drive has some serious torque and the engine is much quieter than the 20016.

Recommended!

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

Okay, the Tecumseh doesn't have pressure lube. It does have a system for moving oil up to the upper main. The LV195 is a workhorse, but so is the Briggs. Again, I would take the 22" RWD mower for this large lot, whichever engine it has. Regardless, always use STA-BIL in the gas can every time you fill it.