Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691021

Need to Vent as I'm sick and tired of all this garbage.

User
11 years ago

Okay, the Lawn Forum was the closest place I could find to wine and vent over my living situation. I live in a mobile park. I love my home and garden and work very hard to keep my home and lawn neat and tidy.

Now here's my problem. Garbage p/u for everyone on my small section/street of the park is designated (by the manager) to put their garbage in front of my house so he can pick it up every Friday. Having it placed in one or two spots in the park apparently makes it easier for him to p/u. When I bought my home (new home) 4 years ago I wasn't aware of this arrangement. Anyway, I'm tired of the racoons and birds trashing the garbage all over my lawn. I'm tired of cleaning it up every week all year long. It's not my garbage.

The manager won't do anything about it. He's a cranky old guy who yells instead of communicates so there's no talking to him. There is no one else I can complain to. The man who owns the park lives in China and there is no way to contact him. This isn't a city park. Other than this problem, I really enjoy living here. The neighbors are friendly and most people keep their yards and gardens in good shape.

Well, today I couldn't believe my eyes, there was soooo much garbage on the lawn and up my driveway when I got up at 6:30 am. I was flippin' out even before I had my coffee. I could feel my blood pressure going up. I got out the broom and swept it all off the lawn right on to the street. What would you do? Now that I got this off my chest, I think I'll go cut my lawn. Thanks everyone for listening.

Comments (12)

• diggity_ma
    11 years ago

If the neighbors are indeed nice and friendly, perhaps you could ask them all to use covered bins? Good quality bins are easier anyway, especially the ones that have wheels. I provided a link to one below - this particular one is blue for recycling, but it's the same general idea. Bins like this are the Cadillac of trash cans. They might be easier for the neighbors to use anyway, because they can be wheeled around easily.

Or you could all band together and split the cost of having someone build a respectable looking shed of some sort. I'm picturing a small structure just big enough to hold an average week's worth of everyone's trash. Front door with a latch to keep out the critters.

Anyway, if your neighbors are decent people, they'll probably be glad to help out. They probably feel a bit guilty about it already, but aren't sure what to do. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheeled trash bin

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dignity,
    Okay, their pleasant but not to the point where they would all chip in money for a common bin. I think the best I could do would be to talk to them about getting their own personal garbage can. I spoke to the manager just a few minutes ago when he came to p/u the garbage. He thought the wind blew it out onto the street but I was honest and told him I did it out of frustration. All he said was 'Good for you' - I will speak with my neighbors today. Of course, I want to do this in a very nice way. Thank you for listening and giving me some sensible advice.

• diggity_ma
    11 years ago

Good luck!

• suesheldon
    11 years ago

You've put up with this situation for 4 years?? Isn't it someone else's turn to be the trash depot by now? Do your neighbors just dump their bagged trash at the edge of your yard...or do they haul trash cans sans lids? This situation obviously drives you crazy and it is equally crazy to start your day that way, so pop for the wheelie bins and if you're paying a maintenance fee, save the receipt and deduct it from your tab. Since you like your neighbors, set up your grill in your driveway on trash evening, serve hot dogs and ask your neighbors to be a bit more neighborly regarding their trash deposits in your yard-OR- put everyone's house number on a piece of paper and let the cranky old guy pick the next "trash house" effective June 1 through January 1. Happy summer and Happy New Year...unless he picks your number! Good luck!

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Leaf blower.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lawn lady, Yes, 4 years. I agree it is someone else's turn now but the manager insists it be in front of my house. Yes, they just dump their bagged trash in green bags, recyclable in blue bags. I am the only person that uses a plastic garbage can with a tight fitting lid. I wish there were some way I could get them to stop putting it there. There is no maintenance fee. It's all included in the pad rent. I like your idea of having him choose a number. I wonder if he would go for that.

I have to tell you, it was funny watching him run around and picking up all the garbage that I swept onto the street. I know it's not nice of me but still, it made me laugh. The wind picked up and every time he went to pick up a piece of paper the wind would blow it and he had to chase after it. I told him I was going to do this everytime I see garbage strewn all over my lawn and driveway.

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestion.
    Oh yeah, regarding the barbeque. Not such a good idea. My dh isn't as friendly as me and he wouldn't feed the birds let alone the neighbors.

dchall: Leaf Blower?? Haha...Best idea yet!

• suesheldon
    11 years ago

Hard to imagine that there wouldn't be a single spot to dump trash that wouldn't be more fair to homeowners. Does the manager live there...if so, there's your solution. Four years is way beyond my limit for trash issues- wouldn't have lasted 4 hours...so, bite the bullet and get the covered bins at your expense and consider it a down payment on your sanity.

• Big_Papi
    11 years ago

"Leaf Blower"

On this guys lawn.

"The manager won't do anything about it. He's a cranky old guy who yells instead of communicates so there's no talking to him."

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

I'd throw it all on the street or on his lawn.

Also, I'd let the neighbors nicely know to put it on the STREET and not on your YARD.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

reyesuela...that's what I've been doing, if it gets on my lawn I just sweep it all onto the street.

• krnuttle
    11 years ago

Any possibility of putting a fence between the street and your yard?

You can buy some very nice looking plastic fence section rather cheaply. Much cheaper that ending up in Hatfields and McCoys feud.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions