Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
langle1033

Honda HR194 SX

langle1033
14 years ago

Yesterday, I did a "real tune up" for my 19 years old Honda HR194 lawn mower. Here were the tasks:

1. Total cleaning in-out, up-down the whole unit.

2. Replace the oil

3. Replace the spark plug

4. Remove and clean the carburator, fuel filter, air filter.

5. Clean and reset the coil

6 Replace the blade

7. Lubrication all links, springs....

Now the Honda will not start and the rope is very hard to pull if I start it in normally way (set the choke on then pull the rope).

But If I set the choke, ENGAGE THE CLUTCH then pull the rope, the unit will start right on the first try and the rope is easier to pull.

Any suggestion??

Thank you

Comments (4)

• canguy
    14 years ago

Sounds like the clutch is not releasing. I picked up an HR215 with similar symptoms, the BBC was clogged with grass.

• langle1033
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Canguy: Thank you for the input.

I checked and cleaned the clutch area, lubricated all the springs and linkage. However, the clutch still automatic engaged whenever the engine runs. This is very dangerous condition.

I tried to remove the clutch but the nut just turns with the shaft. Somehow I have to lock the shaft to remove the nut.

May be the clutch needs to be replaced . What do you think?

• Jack Woodward
    2 years ago

Blade "brake/clutch" is out of adjustment, or worn out. Pulls a little harder because the blade is always spinning. When you release the self-propell handle, the blade continues spinning. CHEAp fix which I have done to my HR214 is to use a nylon cable-tie, pull the blade engage lever "on", and tie it into that position. Been running it that way for years. jUST BE AWARE THAT THE BLADE IS always ENGAGED!!!!!

• HU-486961708
    last year

Blade is is upside down.