Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planoresident1008

please help. what happened to my new palisades zoysia? dfw, tx

planoresident1008
10 years ago

Hello,

I put in a new sod of Palisades Zoysia to renovate my dead lawn (shown in the pic below) about 6 weeks go.
{{gwi:97473}}

After 4 weeks my lawn looked quite good as seen in the pic below. I had watered 1/2" every day for the first 3 weeks. Then starting June 1st (4th week), I started watering 1" once per week. There is, also, stage 3 water restriction in my city starting June 1st. You can click on the image below to zoom in.
{{gwi:97474}}

Now (after 5 weeks) brown spots have started appearing in my front lawn. There are no brown spots in my side lawn. It has been 3 weeks since I started watering 1" once per week. Brown spots can be seen in the pic below (You can click on the pic to zoom in).
{{gwi:97475}}

The following 2 pics shows the close up of the brown spots. Please click on the pic to zoom in.
{{gwi:97476}}

{{gwi:97477}}

There are brown spots in a couple of other places. But, the above spot is the biggest one.

Can anyone tell by looking at these pics what is causing the brown spots? How can I treat these?

Thanks you very much for your time in this regard.

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

My first thought was too much shade, but Palisades is supposed to be one of the shade tolerant/loving zoysias.

I wonder about competition for moisture from the tree roots right there?

• planoresident1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks dchall. Yes, the roots of the tree could very well be taking up most of the moisture. I will increase the watering time to account for that.

Given that the new grass is only about 8 weeks old, will the zoysia be able to recover with increased watering, during this summer?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

I think it takes a while for zoysia to get fully established. I noticed that they wilt rather quickly if gone too long without water early on. 8 weeks isn't long enough for sure.

Maybe the sprinklers are off or something. Put tuna cans everywhere and see how much water they get during your normal watering time and adjust it accordingly. Once established, they are hard to get rid off compared to bermuda and st augustine in partial shade condition like yours esp during terrible drought.

• Farouk Zouari
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

After watering zoysia yesterday, I found it this morning with grey spots. 2 weeks before I had the same thing (yellow part) and I thought that I had applied too much fertilizer. Finally the problem is poor drainage maybe...

• chris528888
    7 years ago

I had the exact same experience. Do you see any small white moths flying around when you walk through the grass? Their larvae love newly planted sod and kill it from the roots.