Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bermuda32

bermuda and Ortho's Weed B Gone w/Crabgrass Control

bermuda32
13 years ago

Ok...

On April 1, I got bermuda sod installed throughout my entire yard. Since then I have watered it well and fertilized it twice. Everything was looking GREAT!

Last week, I noticed a TON of crabgrass was coming through so I started to pull out what I could with my hands. Needless to say, this was tedious and I stopped. I went to Lowes and looked through all of the chemical sprays to figure out the best way to get rid of the crabgrass. I bought Ortho's Weed B gone w/Crabgrass Control...the one with the manual pump. I cam home and spot sprayed every place that I saw crabgrass. In some areas they were really congested so I sprayed a good amount.

The next day, I noticed that my lawn was discolored where I sprayed. I figured this was ok since I did spray it. The day after that...the crabgrass and the grass where I sprayed was completely yellowish/brown. As of this morning, everywhere I sprayed is yellow. It looks like someone took yellow spray paint and used it on my nice bermuda lawn.

At this point, I dont know what to do. I have been watering it like crazy to bring it back, but it is still yellow.

What can I do to make these yellow spots go away?

Please help! I hope I didn't ruin the nice yard I paid a ton of money for.

Comments (10)

• rdaystrom
    13 years ago

If the temp was over 90F there may have been some damage. Bermuda is resilient and will eventually come back or spread in from the damages edges. Keep it watered.

• neilaz
    13 years ago

When the temp gets over 90F use at half Strength.

• granburyflowergirl
    13 years ago

Bermuda32: how is your grass doing now? did it fully recover?
    Neilaz: will 1/2 strength still kill the weeds?
    How long after application of weed b gone do the temps need to stay under 90F to be safe?
    Thanks

• neilaz
    13 years ago

I still get a good kill rate of the weeds at 1/2 strength. For me it is spurge that i have to deal with. It may take two apps but it will work. I apply after dark (still over 90F but sun is down) then water say at noon or before.

• bermuda32
    Original Author
    13 years ago

granburyflowergirl...

As of today, my lawn has recovered. Some of those yellow spots eventually caused some of the bermuda to die, but in other spots...it didnt. Very odd to say the least. Where some of the grass died, the surrounding bermuda has already overtaken it. It's almost like I never sprayed my lawn :)

What I did do though is put on a heavy-nitrogen fertilizer recently and now the crabgrass issue I was having isn't really a problem anymore. In my part of the country (NC), we are in a drought. Everyone's lawn in my neighborhood is dried up and crappy looking. I don't think my grass has ever been greener.

Needless to say, I am happy that bermuda is such a tough grass.

• sunfire01
    13 years ago

bermuda32, so are you saying using the high nitro fertilizer caused the bermuda to choke out the crabgrass? I too have a crabgrass issue in my bermuda and put down some urea 35-0-5 fertilizer in hopes my bermuda will take off and win.

• auteck
    13 years ago

Ortho Wee B Gone with Crabgrass control has Quinclorac as one of the active ingredients and will bleach/set back most if not all Hybrid Bermudagrasses, however, the common types are not affected.

Also, apply during the early morning hours when the air is cool and the winds are calm. Do not exceed rate during the summer months.

One last thing, rainproof in 6 hours.

• granburyflowergirl
    13 years ago

Bermuda32: Thanks, that's good to know!Glad your lawn is green again.

Sunfire: where did you find urea 35-0-5?

auteck: are you saying that using weed be gone may cause your hybrid Bermuda to be overtaken by trash Bermuda?

I am trying a new experiment in part of my lawn that is remote and was way more crabgrass than Bermuda: smothering! I am hypothesizing that the crabgrass will die from smothering but the Bermuda will come back...(this is in a spot that I may mulch over anyway for a path so if it all dies no big deal). I'm basing this theory on observations of the patch of land that had a 1000lb bag of sand sitting on it for a month. I'm just not sure how long to leave the piece of particle board down to kill the nasty crabs...

• sunfire01
    13 years ago

granburyflowergirl: I got the 35-0-5 urea at Home Depot. Its labeled under Vigoro Super Green. Let us know about the smothering experiment.

• auteck
    13 years ago

Wee-B-Gone without Crabgrass control does NOT affect hybrid bermudagrasses. Quinclorac is the active ingredient that kills Crabgrass and will bleached hybrid bermudagrasses, however, the common type Bermuda is not affect it by it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting