Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drnuke

Tall Fescue browning and dying all over

drnuke
12 years ago

With this latest heat wave/mini-drought, my TTTF lawn is starting to die back severely. I started a new lawn last September. It was full, lush, green, and absolutely gorgeous. I fertilized it back in March, along with some pre-emergent, and everything was going great. Now, all of a sudden, the lawn is turning a light brown color on about half the lawn. I don't think it's a fungus because I can't see any fungus along the boundaries of the dying grass. It's really odd. I even watered the lawn deeply (a few inches) on a weekly basis when needed.

I grew up with a bermudagrass, and it was a piece of cake to maintain. I'm thinking of throwing down some bermudagrass seeds and just maintaining a TTTF and BG mixed lawn. It just seems like it has gotten too hot here in TN (in the past two years) to even maintain a TTTF lawn. Anyone have an idea why this die-off is occurring? Anyone want to talk me out of throwing down some BG seeds?

Comments (9)

• jonmhenderson
    12 years ago

I won't talk you out of switching. I live near Nashville and I kept running into the same thing; an endless cycle of spring beauty and lushness followed by a summer of death followed by a fall of seeding and endless watering and winter young plant nurturing. Too much trouble for what you get if you ask me. Bermuda is a much better play turf if you have kids, anyway.
    Jon

• drnuke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad to see that someone else knows my pain ;)

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

endless cycle of spring beauty and lushness followed by a summer of death followed by a fall of seeding and endless watering and winter young plant nurturing.

Well that is pretty much what happens when you live in the TRANSITION ZONE trying to grow cool season grasses. In transition Zones you are pretty much forced to make a choice of having a green yard in cool and cold months, or green in warm and hot months, but cannot have it both ways..

• mistascott
    12 years ago

Same thing happened to me so don't take it personally. I did everything right; even had a soil test done, fertilized, limed, etc. Right now I am deciding whether I want a yard full of weeds (spurge and crabgrass is already starting to come up) or if I want to make one last effort at heading them off with some new seed.

• drnuke
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That makes me feel a bit better. Maybe I'll just hope for the best and aerate/overseed this fall.

• mistascott
    12 years ago

Bermuda will work fine if you can live with its dormancy period. Just overseed with perennial ryegrass in the fall and you should have some winter color.

• jonmhenderson
    12 years ago

I say go bermuda, SKIP the rye grass, which totally weakens the bermuda (trust me, i tried it) and enjoy the break from mowing in the winter.
    Jon

• tak2w
    12 years ago

I lived in the transition zone for 12 years, and struggled with fescue for 9 of those years. Then I moved to a house (in Richmond, VA) which had a fescue/bermuda mix. I know this goes against all lawn care wisdom, but it worked for me. I mowed it at about 3", and when it got hot, the bermuda filled in the bare patches in the fescue. I only reseeded in the fall once in 3 years and the fescue did great. It was an established yard, and if you want a mix, you may have to overseed fescue in the fall, since your spring crop may have severe damage.

Now I am down south and have a bermuda lawn. I don't really like the dormant season (5-6 months here) but it is way too hot for fescue here unless you have some shade, which I don't.

I say go for it...throw down some bermuda seed!

• weigojmi
    12 years ago

Great topic as I am struggling with the same thing. My yard is about 35% Bermuda now (not by choice) and its thriving in the sun where the fescue is dormant/dying. Mowing everything at about 3 inches actually looks pretty good although I don't like the feel of the current lawn (stiff stressed fescue and taller Bermuda).

I've been mulling over how long to continue overseeding with fescue, myself. The fescue actually looks pretty good in early spring so maybe I'll continue until the Bermuda takes over completely on its own...