Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmtx

Why did Snapper discontinue Kawasaki Engine?

rmtx
12 years ago

This year Snapper stopped selling the 21" mowers with Kawasaki Engine. They still use the Honda and Briggs engines.

Anyone know why? Thanks,

Comments (7)

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

From a manufacturing standpoint it's all about making money. Mower manufacturers go with what they feel will provide the best service and make them the most profit. They frequently change engine suppliers. As a result, customers may or may not like their changes.

• tooltime79
    12 years ago

Actually the answer is that Briggs and Stratton bought Snapper. They also bought Simplicity as well so they have two respected brands with no choice but to use B&S engines now.

• gfc56
    12 years ago

Why are Honda engines superior over Briggs & Stratton

• bluemower
    12 years ago

I don't know why Kawasaki was discontinued. There probably were not enought sales to continue with this engine.

I checked the snapper web site and found the honda GXV 160 engine is provided on one of three commercial models. The Lawn cutting businesses probably buy enought of the Honda equipped mowers to justify furnishing this engine. The Honda is more expensive than the Briggs engines because it has premium features. Forged crankshaft; cast iron sleeve; crankshaft supported by two ball bearing; Helical cut gears for the camshaft

Briggs offers these features on some of their more expensive engines, but I am not aware they are offered on the push mower engines.

• tooltime79
    12 years ago

"Posted by bluemower (My Page) on Thu, May 26, 11 at 15:06

I don't know why Kawasaki was discontinued. There probably were not enought sales to continue with this engine.
    I checked the snapper web site and found the honda GXV 160 engine is provided on one of three commercial models. The Lawn cutting businesses probably buy enought of the Honda equipped mowers to justify furnishing this engine. The Honda is more expensive than the Briggs engines because it has premium features. Forged crankshaft; cast iron sleeve; crankshaft supported by two ball bearing; Helical cut gears for the camshaft

Briggs offers these features on some of their more expensive engines, but I am not aware they are offered on the push mower engines."

That's a lot of good baloney but the answer is simply that Briggs and Stratton bought Snapper so they would still have a market for their engines. Comprende'?

• revnumanewbern
    7 years ago

I worked at the Snapper plant in McDonough Ga. till B&S closed us, their goal is to BUY UP ALL END products that their engines can go on, thus controlling WHAT engines go where, it's a engine thing, the end products are just a brand name to them. BEFORE they closed the plant doors I saw complete weldment's/assemblies that we produced IN HOUSE being shipped in from outside the U.S.

• farmerdill
    7 years ago

A lot of brands including Snapper use Kawasaki engines on larger machines. Have not seen one less than 14 HP tho.