Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Hit the string trimmer in order to feed the string?

chueh
15 years ago

I told my husband that our new string trimmer does not automatically feed the string when it gets shorter. He told me that he saw a tv show in which a guy hit the trimmer to the ground to make the string come out a little more. It sounds a little funny to me, and I certainly don't want to take the risk to hit the new trimmer to the ground just to see what happens. The instruction only says that the string trimmer would automatically feed when it wears, because the head is sensitive. I posted here once before about my string trimmer not able to feed itself. I was told to check the spool to see how the string is wound. Everything looks just fine. Thus, I went to the store I bought it. The lady who worked there did not have knowledge about it at all but kind enough to suggest that I return it and get another one. I don't want to return it, if there is something I miss or there is nothing wrong with it. If I don't know how it really works, I will probably have the same problem for another one and another one.

As I walked out the store, I ran into a lady who helped me with paint supplies before. We recognized each other. She asked me what I was shopping for. I told her about my string trimmer problem. She told me that she saw her husband slamming the string trimmer on the ground to make the string come out. Oh..... Now, the second person said it. I am starting to believe the trick. However, both my husband and this paint lady are just eye witness. When I asked them WHICH PART of the string trimmer needed to be hit to the ground, they were not sure what the answer was.

SO.. I would like to know WHERE should I hit to the ground? Which part of the string trimmer? Is it just lightly tapping on the ground? Hitting it, or really slamming it??? Do I do it with the motor on or off? When should I do it? I mean how long actually the string should be? Thanks

Comments (6)

• ccecilm
    15 years ago

Look at the bottom of the line spool and you will see a protrusion (diameter depends on the brand). That is what is commonly known as the "bump cup"; It is spring loaded and that is the part you bump on the ground to extend the line. I have to have my engine running at full speed when I "bump" it to let out line. Also, I always try to "bump out" new string when it gets down to about a 4" length.

• nevada_walrus
    15 years ago

Some heads are fully auto but most are semi auto. Fully auto tend to be a little finicky at times, at little dirt or poorly installed line can mess them up.

Like ccecim brought up, look at the bottom of your head and see if there is a center cup that depresses. If it does you have a semi auto head that requires being bumped while at at least half throttle, preferribly at full throttle to extend line. Keep in mind that semi auto's also need to be bumped before the line gets to short. Their operation works on the weight of the extended line and centrifugal force to pull the line out. If line gets to short before being bumped out, their is not enough weight in the extended line to pull line out when the bump cup is depressed and releasing the stop dogs. Each bump will release an inch or so, may require several bumps to pull it all the way out.

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ccecilm and nervada. I possibly found the bump cup you were talking about. I tried depressing it to see if it depressed. It did, yet the string was not coming out. Of course I did it when the engine was off, though. I don't want to just hit something that's not meant to be, or I would damage it. I include pictures here. Would you please take a look at them to confirm th part? Thank you

• nevada_walrus
    15 years ago

Yep. Is there a hole opposite where the string is? Some heads have string from both sides, some just the one. If there is a second hole the line has already sucked in from being to short. The head would need taken apart tp bring it out or it will jam the works and prevent feeding.

If there is no second hole the line that is there mat be to short to have the weight to feed anyway. If only one hole, depress center button and pull the string, it will come out an inch or so and stop, release button and pull line again. You should then have enough extended to work when running. Remember, the engine has to be revving between half to full throttle to make it work.

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

great! thank you so much!!!! Problem is solved by you guys!!!! Very thankful

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

Thats what is wrong with the world today-nobody wants to hit their head on anything, and that causes the auto mfgrs to design cars with enough air bags, that if you drove into the canal, it would float!