Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Really high priced Goodwill

luvstocraft
17 years ago

Hi, Just got back from a MH trip to Huntington Beach, Ca. area for three days at the beach. Got excited when I saw a big Goodwill sign--convinced DH to stop so I could look for totem glass! I could not believe their prices! Vases $5.99 and up. Plates $2.99 or more. When I told DH their stuff was too high, his reply was "prices reflect the area you are in." Needless to say, I did not find much within my $2.00 rule for totem pieces! Did get a couple of little dishes--that was it! Back to my own little area stores this week! Luvs

Comments (47)

• flowerstreet
    17 years ago

the gw's here are too high also. i quit going into them. i have better luck with a couple local ts run by christian charities. i recently posted a whole table full of totem glass, spent $4.00. would have been $40.00 at gw. sigh...whats a junker to do?

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

The GW here in Phoenix also high as a rule. I try to go on the half off sales now. Can't believe the prices on some of the glassware!!!! Of course if you pick up something without a price tag.........they sure sell it to you CHEAP at the register.

Karen

• kweenofkings
    17 years ago

The GW in Tulsa is the same! Their glassware is WAY too high!!!

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Same in Texarkana. Waaaaay to high, but if I "NEED" it I'm afraid I weaken and buy it. $Store and TS are still the best buys.

• pjpackrat
    17 years ago

Our Goodwill is very high also, I don't go often and my GF told me on half price day it's only the clothes, so why go.
    I have so many TS that are small church run kind to go to. I got a punch bowl at one for $1.00 and vases and plates are 10 or 25 cents. Here if something is not priced they will not sell it at all, it goes into the back to be re-priced! I guess that stops people form removing price tags!
    PJ

• lousit
    17 years ago

We have a brand new store this year and I thought that was why the prices had gone up so drasticly. (We pay for the rebuilding) But apparently not heh? Every now and then you can still find a bargin, but not often. But listen to this, they are very picky about when they will except holiday, summer, or winter, things for donations. My dd got some beautiful lawn furniture custions one day because the lady in line to drop them off was told they didn't want them without the furniture they go to so the lady turned and asked my daughter if she wanted them. And they only except outdoor Christmas decorations just before Christmas. So I shop the St.Vincent Depaul store. I get Christmas decor in July if I want. Rummage sales are still the best answer. Lou

• jenna1
    17 years ago

Same here in the Sacramento, CA, area. Priced way too high. It's been a long time since I've been in one. Last time I was in looking around a few years ago I overheard one of their clerks telling another clerk that a shipment was coming in and they were talking and laughing about how they always get first pick of the stuff before it gets priced and goes on the selling floor.

Luvs, I think your DH may be right regarding the location as well. My SIL lives in SoCal and she thought our GW prices up here were really cheap compared to her area.

Jenna

• uglyoodie
    17 years ago

We are very fortunate here, we have a Goodwill Outlet beside our regular Goodwill Store. Almost EVERYTHING in the Outlet is 35 cents. The regular store has half off certain color tags each week, a senior discount, frequent shopper discount and a 20% off coupon for donations taken to the donation center. Down two blocks is the Village thrift store with weekly specials and specials on Mon, Tue and Wed. Plus sometimes a $5.00 coupon off $10.00 purchase from the newspapers..if you sign up for mailing list they also give you the $5.00 off $10.00 purchase.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

I'm moving to your town.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all, I went to two of my local TS today--spent $17.00 but got four bags of stuff. Will have to take a pic when I get it all unwrapped and set out. Bought totem glass, of course, and some items to paint on, and a couple things just because I liked them! Guess I won't complain about the local prices anymore after my HB experience! Sorry so many of you have the same problem. Uglygoodie, why would they need an outlet store? Seems they could just mark the prices down in the regular store! Good for you if you get a bargain that way. Pj, I like the prices at your store. At those prices you can make lots of GJ from glass. Lady at the church store gave me a calendar--and guess what? They have all glassware and knicknacks 50% off the third week of this month! Yeah, more totem glass. LOL Hope they get some new stock in by then too--keeping my fingers crossed. Luvs

• payd6
    17 years ago

the prices here are mostly reasonable, but I forget to stop buying! I have enough glass now for at least 15 totems!! oh my, good thing christmas is coming! lol

• bluebel2
    17 years ago

Interesting to note that all replies to this forum from the US state that the GW is expensive and then I get to the last post from Ontario, whereabouts? it might depend on the area one lives for the price of the items. We live on Vancouver Island and the thrift stores here are expensive also. I sometimes go to the church thrift shop although it is only open one day a week for 4 hours, their prices are resonable. Church sales are great places to go for cheaper items. Saturday I went to one and there was so much stuff. I was told it would end up in the garbage whatever they did not sell, isn't that a shame.

• payd6
    17 years ago

London area here. sometimes I pay 1.99 for a better piece, but mostly .29, .49, up to .99. There is one around the corner from my work, and also one in the town where I live. Also, SA quite often has so much stuff, they put their glass on half price often. I have never seen a totem up here, (except in my yard) maybe they haven't caught on yet?

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Our Goodwills sell EVERYTHING in the store for half off, twice a month. Plus they do half off certain color tags each week, also senior discount Wednesdays, and a 20% off coupon for donations. You can donate holiday or any seasonal stuff any time of year. I got some great Xmas items this past summer! So other than being high priced on glassware, can't complain about any of the rest. The two I frequent have pretty nice stuff as a rule, while another not too far from me is downright junky most of the time.
    Area they are in I guess.

Karen

• kms4me
    17 years ago

Goodwill is for a good cause. If you pony up a couple of extra bucks for an item, try to think of it as being a charitible contribution and not trying to pick your pocket. They employ those with special needs who want to bring purpose and usefulness to their lives. Oh, I forgot the dignity part. Apparently I am not alone.

And yes, maybe the areas you look for in Goodwill have junk.. well, think of the folks who live there, even the folks on garden junk look down their noses.

BENEATH GARDEN JUNK.

Garden junk has gone snobby....

Kate

• Mystical Manns
    17 years ago

Here, the GW store is very high prices, but very organized and clean. Salvation Army thrift store is much less expensive, but is dirty and very disorganized.

I only shop either store in the winter months when yard sales are over ... and where I go depends on how much extra money I have to spend. I prefer the clean store, but can't always afford it.

• flowerstreet
    17 years ago

http://www.ncrp.org/AR-122005-Oregonian-GoodwillChief.asp
    The state attorney general investigated the salary paid to the Oregon GW CEO in 2004- over $800,000. After being investigated for 8 months, he took a pay cut. While GW is a charity and does help some people, there is more to the organization than people realize. Another reason I dont donate to them or shop there.

• flowerstreet
    17 years ago

Let me see if I can make the above article a link instead of cut and paste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregonian article

• SEWigardnut
    17 years ago

I don't think Garden junk has gone snobby. A point was just trying to be made. I still shop at gw and probably always will. Not only do I shop there but I donate to gw, Saint Vincents and Purple heart when they call. I think the prices have gone up because of the economy and there are alot of people new shopping TS. People look for what they can sell on Ebay. The other day I was in SV's and two women were there. They were just in awe, they had never shopped at a TS.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Purplemoon, I want to shop at your store! that is the way it should be--mark it down and keep it moving! They get tons of donated items (have you ever peeked into their backrooms?) so no reason to make the prices so high. And Sewigardnut, I think you are right--more people going to buy things to resell on ebay. Imagine the demand makes the prices go up too. KMS4me, No one is looking down their noses--just expressing opinions. I think most people prefer clean, organized stores--especially the people living in the area! I just know that I appreciate the prices in my area more now after having experienced the prices at a store in a more "affluent" area. With that said--bet there might have been lots of designer labels if I had looked at the clothes instead of just glass for totems! Luvs

• tasymo
    17 years ago

I find it odd that any one would call Junkers, who are seeking low prices, snobs... In my world, it's the folks who will only shop at "classy stores" or only buy brand names that are considered snobs.
    The Thrift Store prices in my area are fairly reasonable, I think. I think there is a certain balance that the Thrift Stores have to maintain. They price items at a rate that will keep the inventory moving, fit with their customers budgets, and still make money for the organization. My local Goodwill is opening a new store nearby that will house the stuff that doesn't sell in it's other stores, at much lower prices. You can bet I'll be checking that place out regularly!

Kathy

• tennesseekathy
    17 years ago

I was talking to someone today about Goodwill being so high anymore and they told me that they heard they are run by a company now. Ours moved to a much bigger and pricy building in our small town.

• jiju
    17 years ago

Prices are still pretty cheap in Upper michigan at my goodwill. Glass items are usually .69 cents to 5 or six dollars. Can't complain! Also bowling balls are only 2.99 each. yay good will!!

• nanaofive
    17 years ago

I don't believe Garden Junk has gotten "snobby". After all most times we are looking for junk. But I think some of the prices on some items are too high. I shop all the thrift stores in my area and I never look down my nose at anyone. We are all humans, therefore I treat everyone as I would like to be treated. This is one of the kindest, most caring group "junkers" I have ever met. Nancy

• nana431965
    17 years ago

There is not a Goodwill near me but our 'Salvation Army Thrift store' and 'Bargin Box', has really good prices. Yes there is junk that we junkers would not use but like anywhere else you have to sift thru to find what you want. I came out with 20 plus vases for only 5.00, and two table legs they were throwing away for 'free'.
    Donna

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

There is not one single snob on this forum, Kate, from what I've experienced. And to say such a thing about GJ just floors me. We all love the hunt for neat stuff, and sometimes the best finds are at the not so nice thrift shops. Here in Phx the Salvation Army ones are a mess inside, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go there. I certainly support their causes and all they do.

Karen

• drewsmaga
    17 years ago

Our Goodwill doesn't have a store! Donations only! We moved here about a yr. ago & the closest GW store I've found (haven't shopped there yet) is 15 mi. away. I found 1 TS within 10 mi. Back in Orange Park, FL I had a GREAT GW, super SA & lots of thrift stores. . . .Now I shop Big Lots & the .99 store. . . . Oh, and our HOA doesn't allow yard sales. I am SO junk-deprived!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna--Please post pics of your vases! I hunt for vases all the time since I started making totems. That is fantastic that you got 20 or more for only $5.00! What are you going to do with the table legs? Would they make good bases for birdhouses? Or maybe birdfeeders or candle holders? Yeah! Purplemoon--I agree with what you said--we will go most anywhere if we think we can get a good bargain to make more of our GJ creations! It's just so much fun. Wish I had a SA in my area--sounds like they have good prices. Someday I will take time to check out other areas TS--that might be a fun outing! Luvs

• cait1
    17 years ago

Well ladies, you've cheered me up!! I remember bargains in the States but it's not as easy here. Well, I am friends with the lady that runs one of the charity shops so I get stuff really discounted and can't complain. And I'm still pretty lucky and do find some great stuff for either cheap or free. Here they have stores called Opportunity Shops b/c they are supposed to give the less well-off the chance to find really good bargains but my gf's here say that seems to be a thing of the past. There's one 'Op Shop' that now has an antique dealer come in every so often to go over what was brought in and price the stuff! I once saw a slightly chipped cup and saucer set selling for $15!! So I looked to see if there were any of that brand and design on ebay and found the same set, no chips, going for $5.
    And we're not snobs, just thrifty! I think that Kms4me was just trying to get us riled! LOL
    Cait

• kms4me
    17 years ago

Cait and all you others,

I was not trying to get anyone riled. I lost a very special brother the same day I posted that message. Though he didn't work at Goodwill, he worked at other similar places. Though he always had a smile and a handshake for anyone who came through the doors, people who shopped at the store where he worked seemed to have no problem voicing their displeasure and disgust at things like prices, displays, etc., that he had no control over. You see, my brother couldn't even talk due to cerebral palsy, he was defenseless as well as blameless. Though many of these organizations are bought/managed by for-profit groups, they still provide some of the few opportunities for those who have none.

As soon as I posted my message, I realized I was taking my anger and pain out where it probably didn't belong. While I ask for your understanding and forgiveness, I also ask that you will try to remember why these stores were established.

Kate

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Kate I'm terribly sorry for your loss and appreciate you telling us what was going on with your feelings when you posted. I do appreciate the purpose and intent of these stores to help those who need it. I can't imagine how anyone could behave as rudely as the customers you mentioned. Griping here or to friends privately is one thing, but to take it out on store employees is quite another.
    warmest wishes to you,
    Karen

• tasymo
    17 years ago

In any store situation, it is usually the counter person or cashier who has to take the brunt of bad attitudes and criticisms, even though they have little to no control over the alledged problem. The folks who work in my local Goodwill and Salvation Army are great- always helpful and cheerful. They practically know me by name, I'm in there often enough!
    I'm sorry for your loss, Kate. Thank you for re-posting and clarifying where you were coming from. I'm sure your brother was a very special Guy, and is missed, both at home and at the place he was employed.

Kathy

• payd6
    17 years ago

Kate, so sorry for your loss. take care.

• cait1
    17 years ago

Kate, I too am sorry to hear of your loss. And I'm sorry your brother had to deal with insensitive customers. I never said I had a problem with who worked in the charity shops, but when the ideology behind these places is lost because making a buck is greater than helping those in need, then I have a problem. I know someone who was in need of some furniture, went to the charity shop, and was told the old, worn couch was $300. She was very disappointed. When the people who these shops were intended for are no longer able to buy from them, something is terribly wrong.
    Cait

• nanaofive
    17 years ago

Kate, I'm so very sorry about your loss, my prayers go out for you and your family. I understand what you were saying that day and you do have understanding and forgiveness from me. I, too am glad there are organizations for people less fortunate than most of us. Nancy

• lousit
    17 years ago

KMS4me, I am so sorry for your loss, I know just how you feel. I know I was devastaded to loss my DB. But as for GW hiring handicap and giving them a break or dignity, that is what it's supposed to be doing and they occasionaly do hire some people who are unfortunate but my brother ( who spent 42 years in a wheel chair) was hired there ONLY after he completed his electrical training to repair small appliances. ( toasters, coffee makers, etc.) Now they just don't except anything that is not in perfect condition. DH and I where there this morning and they are selling badly scratched and dented jewlery chests for $149. and $99. each. Halloween masks for &7.99 each. They must have forgotten that these things were GIVEN to them. And I am so sorry but I've lived GW for many many of my 59 years and I think it is expensive. Lou

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kate, glad you came back to tell us of your loss and your anger. It takes a special person to do that. We understand and offer our condolences. We are just so used to everyone on this forum being so nice to each other--so your post was unsettling. I started this post--not to knock Goodwill and the work it does, but to express my astonishment at the almost retail prices they put on DONATED items! I blamed it on the area where the store was located. I have to agree with Cait and Lousit--Goodwill seems to be forgetting the community they are supposed to serve. And to turn a needy person away--what kind of charity is that? Luvs

• foxygrandma9
    17 years ago

Kate sorry to hear of your loss. I to lost 2 of my DB, I understand your sorrow, I have to say our SA is way over priced. I was there today and like the others, there furniture was really bad and high prices on it. I realize they help alot of people, but the poor people depend on them for things and when it's so high, they cain't aford to get it. Our GW is really low priced. I too support the organizations with donations, but beleive they should lower prices,for the ones who are in need.

• lefd05
    17 years ago

Kate, so very sorry for your loss of your brother.

We have a Salvation Army store here. Its a mess. The building isn't very big so most of the merchandise is outside in a big chainlink fenced area. So it gets dirty, weathered, and basically destroyed if it wasn't already and they still want quite a bit for it.
    I understand that we are supposed to be getting a Goodwill here next summer.
    Do any of you have the Habitat Home Stores? The one we have is probably the most popular here and they are reasonable.

• barefootin
    17 years ago

Kate, sorry about the loss of your brother. My heart goes out to you.

I used to shop many thrift shops in Kansas City, Mo. One was a Veterans thrift store...reasonable and lots of cheap prices..one was Federation for The Blind..reasonable...a few Salvation Army stores...high priced...and a few Goodwill...high priced.

I now live in PA...and there is a Salvation Army store close..and its very clean, organized and not too bad on prices. They have half off colored tag sales daily, and half off all clothing except a certain colored tag on wed. If glass or dishes, furniture isn't being sold..they reduce the price till it sells. I buy lots and lots of stuff there...actually since I joined this forum I have bought WAY too much stuff...LOL I have even bought things..decided I didn't really want them, or couldn't use them for what I thought...and donate the stuff back!..LOL

Might be a good thing there is only one thrift store near me...LOL

Sherrie...who has way too much 'stuff'...LOL

• kms4me
    17 years ago

Thank you all for your kindness and forgiveness. You truly are a special group of people, and I apologize for my offensive behavior. It was from pain and loss, but mostly anger because my brother was the sweetest, kindest soul you'd ever meet, and I was so mad that he had died. He got very few breaks in life, cerebral palsy was only the tip of the iceberg, and because of my anger I focused on the mistreatment he had endured, and I temporarily forgot how much he taught everyone he knew and how beautiful his life really was. His name was Joel.

I am surprised to hear of the high prices so many of you have encountered. The key to success, I would think, is to keep inventory moving, and it distresses me that people are turned away/turned off because of high prices or that perfectly good donations are not accepted. I wonder how many of these agencies are tax exempt or have tax write-offs even if they are not employing the handicapped, providing low cost items to the poor, or using a good share of their profits to benefit the community.

Ironically, I tried to go to my favorite Goodwill a couple of days ago (reasonable prices, great organization, friendly workers) only to find it was gone because it could no longer afford the rent.

I have enjoyed lurking in this forum for a long time (only because I never seem to be able to complete a project so I can have something to post)and reading all of your creative and wonderful ideas. Your generosity is wonderful and your inspiration is endless. I can't seem to throw anything away because I am always thinking of you all and your amazing ability to see the potential in something.

Take care, and thanks again for your compassion and understanding,

Kate

• nmgirl
    17 years ago

There are quite a few TS in my area. SA, GW, DAV, one large "chain" run by a local children's hospital, several consignment shops-only one of which is really worth shopping in, some privately run ones,and I'm sure I've left out some. I'll shop anywhere but I have found that the DAV stores are expensive. The GWs are a little high but compared to the DAV prices, they're a deal!
    I do frequent the cleaner, better organized places more,a cluttered dirty shop is annoying and unpleasant to shop in. And in the climate where I live, a dirty cluttered shop makes your allergies go crazy! Mildew, molds,...yuck.

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

OMG I read this post in the AM and went to our closest GW to do some Christmas shopping. I saw some quart blue canning jars, and I just love these things despite the fact that I already have 3 dozen at least. I went and looked at them and they wanted 12.50 for the quart and 25.00 for the half gallons. I couldn't believe it, I bought some for a dollar at a antique flea market just weeks ago. On the other hand I went in the back of the store where they keep the the dishes and I found 5 cobalt fiestaware dinner plates for 4.00 for all the plates. So of course since I have fiesta ware I had to have these. At another GW I bought 4 homer laughlin flower plates for .50 each. I told the cashier that the jars were a bit over priced:) and she said that quite a few people had told her that.... so why don't they lower the prices.

Stacie

• obrother
    17 years ago

BEST STORE YOU'LL EVER GO TO IS FAITH in Rabun county, Clayton georgia.
    ALL name brand clothing is 1.00 all the time!!!
    Has furniture, antiques, toys, electronics! Bargains galore.
    706-782-1867

• cottagegirl124
    17 years ago

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!!Not only are Goodwill prices out the roof our Local Habitat for Humanity Store has tripled their prices in the last month. I realize some people may buy items and resale them on ebay but most of us are just trying to make ends meet. I looked at a comforter not a brand name I recognized it was $60 usually they run about $5-$10 they obviously have forgotten these are USED goods and I could buy a NEW item at say Ross or Marshall's for less.

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

Luvs, the outlet store is really a warehouse where they accept and sort and sent out stuff...if you buy there then they do not ship out...they have some days where they have sales for 'as is' products. The one here is between Moreno Valley/Perris is on the 215. Think Linda went there.

Luvs, you need vases? like for in the totem or as the bottom of the totem...one place here has a lot of them always. June

• nancyjeanmc
    17 years ago

OBrother,
    Faith Store has it right. The more they sell, the more they will make and the more space they will clear out so that more can come in...and that has people coming back over and over so they don't "miss" anything.
    We have a huge auction each year to benefit our VFD. One woman would stand at the drinkware section and mark each glass, or set of glasses. 1- she priced them way too high and 2-she put in way too much time on it. I volunteered a few years and they put me in her section. I put up a sign: All glassware, 15 cents each. 2:00 I changed the 15 to 10, and at 4:00, each for a nickle. There wasn't much left and we made far more than any previous year. (She would end up with boxes and boxes left to be trashed. They opened it up to charities the next day to take what they wanted, but most ended up in the dumpster)