Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tankhead_gw

McLane 20" Reel cutting height adjustment

tankhead
10 years ago

So I got this lawnmower after my grandparents passing. Its an older probably with the Briggs & Stratton 4.75. In looking at the owners manual on their website can I adjust it myself. It says the rear axle adjusting should be done by an authorized dealer. I'm kind of intimidated by this. I put in some fescue in my back yard about 5 weeks ago and worried about proper height for cutting. Thanks for any help.

Comments (2)

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

In over 30 years experience with McLane 20" and 25" machines I've never had to adjust rear axle height, and every machine has been in the middle (medium) position as set by the factory.

If you don't have the range of height you need using the ratchet adjuster, you need to change the position of the cross rod as shown in the manual. It's easily done.

When I lived in Los Angeles, the "A" or "B" cross rod setting was most appropriate for St. Augustine or Hybrid Bermuda. I'm not sure how high you want to cut fescue, but even the "C" position should be adequate.

Even in the "C" position, the middle (medium) rear axle setting should be OK. If you feel you need to change the rear axle, you can probably do it, but instead of 30 minutes for the front rod and adjuster, you are now looking at 2 or 3 hours, especially the first time.

• tankhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help. I think I will be coming back sometime in the future. I don't think the lawn is ready for this type mower. Or my lawn needs more seeding's or I need to roll it with some weight cause they didn't do it previously. I think I picked the worst time to try out this mower. The grass was long from the initial seeding. And the ground was fairly soft. Seems like I need to get some knowledge learning how to use this mower. whole different animal than what im used to. Thanks again.