Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzi711

painting/staining bricks

suzi711
15 years ago

Hi all,

I've been coming to this site for around 8 yrs.-have posted a couple of time, but nothing for years. I know I could probably go to others for this question, but I know how crafty we are all, and I thought I would get a much better answer here.

I bought this older home 2 yrs. ago, [still am working on it-lol!!]; I have just started doing some major stuff outside,[this was a blank canvas, no plants, 2 huge dead trees, etc.]. Anyhow, the siding is a light bluish/gray, and about 2 feet up from ground across front is a fieldstone brick applied below siding-all trim is white-I want to faux finish brick,[which is now a creamy white-this is real brick/or cement made to look like brick]. Would you guys use a watered down paint,[ which I have in terra cotta patio paint], or a stain. I have been to lowes and all they have are browns in stain, zilch in cement stain. I want to anchor the house w/color, making brick a reddish brick color, with light washes of white and grays, maybe a little burnt sienna; and possibly black or dk. tealish navy blue shutters and small touches of this color elsewhere- I want the siding more grayish looking. Since this is more of a crafty type undertaking, I hope someone[s] here can help. I'm thinking whatever I use should stick, as this is"virgin" brick, but I'm not sure what to use. I'm hoping someone here has tried this. Thanks so much for reading this-sorry its so long. Suzi

Comments (4)

• addicted2junk
    15 years ago

Hi Suzi. I believe I have the same stuff on my house. Mine goes from the ground up about 5 feet. It looks like real brick and mortar inbetween. I'm not sure if it is real tho. There is a couple of places that it is 'cracking' and now I'm wondering if it a paneling type of faux brick. Mine is the brick red color and just looks so out of place. The rest of the house is white aluminum siding, trim and all. I've been thinking about painting it so it doesn't look like a sore thumb, but when I mention it to my hubby, he starts talking about taking it off. Needless to say, it's still there and it's still red.

There is so much stuff out there on the market, that there has to be someone that can tell you what to do. Go to a specialty store like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore or even building companies. They usually have someone working for them that knows what they're talking about. They will have the product you need or they will know where you can get it. The big chains don't hire the knowledgable people.

I know I didn't answer your question, just know that your not alone. I'm sure there will be someone here that just might have the answer.

Good luck
    Cindy

• msmitoagain
    15 years ago

I agree with Cindy. Go to a real paint store. Or maybe even a brick yard. My sister works for one and I know they carry different types of products.

Also, my DH did and still does work sometimes with some mortgage companies. They have had him paint the brick before. Especially if it's an ugly or dull color.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

OHHH this is what I did.When we were first in the ministry we needed a large home We ended up with a large but REALLY ugly ranch one! It had T1-11 on the top part and Brick on the bottom. The roof was variegated greens and white the Bricks were variegated reds,blacks and white and all the shrubs were variegated.It looked like PUKE after county fair food.Sorry.
    Not only that but an entire interior wall/ fireplace had that brick. I thought and thought about painting that brick always with hubby's disagreement.One day he was gone and I decided to tackle it.I like the look of country brick (you know some plaster still on)so I dry brushed it. I Wet the brush with paint then dried it mostly off.Carefully I dragged it across the bricks so that only the rougher areas got paint on them.(NOT THE MORTAR!) The solid blacks I gave a few more strokes too. My hubby came in halfway and freaked! Men have a thing about raw bricks and stained wood and the testosterone makes them think that painting these is abnormal.I said,"I hate this wall,it is the focal point of our home and I hate it! So if this doesn't look good I will totally paint it and if you don't like that we will drywall over it." Well,when I got done he loved it .Not only that I ended up painting the Exterior bricks the same way and it looked so great. The shrubs got frozen in a freak snow storm so they were replaced and the roof changed to a solid one.
    We moved out of that county 18 years ago but have traveled to visit the new owners and the brick is the same!I used an exterior cement/stucco paint. Now everytime I see a house with those UGLY bricks I wish i could get a paintbrush and give them a make over!

• suzi711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all and thanks so much for the info-goldenpond, I think I'm going to try coloring bricks with your directions, won't take as long and sounds simple,[meaning easy and fast, as weather is getting cooler here, and I need to get it done as soon as possible]. Msmitoagain- I scanned your blog, and will definitely go back to read all, as soon as things slow down a little bit more- I'm so-o-o jealous of your lifestyle, sounds fantastic. Oh, and I definitely am going to try your toasted oatmeal cookies-they sound really tasty!!
    Again, thank each one of you for taking the time to answer my message-I really do appreciate it!! suzi