Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

$ Bowling Ball

susiewantsroses
15 years ago

What is a fair price to pay for a bowling ball at a tag sale or GW or resale?

Also Hubs wants to know how many pennies does it take to cover an entire bowling ball? An estimation is fine.

Susiewantsroses (becauseIdo)

Comments (17)

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Susie,

I think it took about $3-4 for mine but that was a few years back and I double covered. Have fun with yours!

Love, Jules

• hallngarden
    15 years ago

I have paid different prices for my bowling balls, from 2.00 to 4.00, I am so addicted that I would probably pay any price. At this time, think I have about 11, and DH is always asking, why do you need more, It took 4.52 in pennies to cover my last bowling ball. Good luck, you will have so much fun with this project.

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We found a bowling ball for $2.25 at a Christian Resale. Thank you for responding!!!!!! What is the preferred glue? A man at the resale shop told me that silicone ll (glue) will corrode the copper pennies. He said to use aquarium glue. What experience have you had with glue? What works better,copper colored paint before gluing or should I double the pennies and overlap? This project is really appealing to "Hubs" (DH means something different in our house so he wont let me call him DH on the forum.).

• hallngarden
    15 years ago

First don't try what I did. My hubs and I polished each of the 452 pennies with brasso. I did use the silicone 11 glue, and haven't had any problems. Think it was about 6 years ago. We didn't spray the ball before applying the pennies. My friend did this and the pennies started falling off when the paint was peeling in a years time. The ball we used was black and I left it , when I finished covering with the pennies, really liked the look of the ball. There are lots of people on this site that have more experience with the BB, and may have other ideas. Of all my projects in the yard, this has been one of my favorite items. My neighbor teased me and said you know that its worth at least 4.52. Good luck and have lots of fun with your project.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I have paid from 1 to 5 for mine. I paid 5 for a pretty turquiose one. Think I have 14/15, five painted and ready for my handy designs, whatever that might be. Lol. I've not done a penny bb so can't help out there. But have fun and send a pic our way when you are done.

Kathy

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

I reread my post. I paid anywhere from FREE to $5 or $6 per ball. Iused about $4 in pennies to cover mine. Mine I remember that I did paint it a verdigris green first. I used the GE II Silicone and most all the pennies have stayed. I think I have had it outside in the elements at least 3 years (and I'm in the desert-as cold as teens to the high 110F) Hope this all helps.
    Love, Jules

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

Bowling balls are polished to make them nice and slicky slidey so they roll and spin down the lane. If you paint before sanding them the paint will dry looking very nice and smooth but it has nothing to hold on to and just flakes off. If you intend to paint your balls SAND them with a fine grit sand papaer to get them roughed up enough to hold the paint. If you are gluing on the glass globs and want to see the paint thru them use 2 or more coats of paint and sand between coats then the final coat sand very very lightly so the glue has more to grab to. My balls are all 5 to 6 years old and still haven't lost any pieces.
    BTW never paid for a BB but have seen them go for as much as $6.00 in TSs and that is pretty out rageous to me when they are tossed out all the time I got mine from freecycle groups or curbside markets. Bowling Alleys give them away often if you ask for them before they are tossed in the dumpster Pins too.
    CT

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Ah me. And I gave a bb to the thrift store. It was left in our cellar by a house mate from our youth, complete with carrying bag. But that was before I knew this site.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Ct you are lucky to have an alley that will give you the throwaways. The one here thingk I'm mad to want them, even after explaining what i amusing them for. That is the only reason I pay for mine. They just do not understand the art world of GB's.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I've paid $1 or $2 and got some free. I like free better! My DH wanted one with pennies and we finally got around to making one. I don't know how much, but a bowl full. I didn't paint the BB at all. However I did want the blue-ish patina, so I used a mixture of salt and vinegar which began to work immediately.
    {{gwi:132576}}

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Dear Susie:
    I got mine >>>>> F R E E on the curb..... on trash day ! ! ! !
    Can't beat that curb shopping
    God Bless !
    SusieSunshine
    (

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!! I LOVE ALL OF YOUR GENEROUS HELP! CREATING BEAUTY AND INTRIGUE ON OUR HOMES CAN INSPIRE AN ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD. BECAUSE OF EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE LEARNED ON THIS FORUM, PEOPLE WERE USING OUR YARD AS A PHOTO OP HALLOWEEN NIGHT.
    THANK YOU AGAIN!

SUSIE

• lefd05
    15 years ago

The most I've paid for one is $7 at a Habitat Store but it was an exceptionally cool ball. I actually don't use it outside either. Pic below.

{{gwi:154187}}

Most of the balls I have were black ones that were free from a local bowling alley and I've bought a few at yard sales for anywhere from $1 to $5.

And yes, if you do paint the ball you need to sand it first. After sanding I also give the ball a light coat of primer, then spray the color on. I have not had any of my painted balls peel and they have been in the elements about 3 or 4 years now.

• diasap
    15 years ago

I shop at the Goodwill,for mine on the half price days. I pay from $1.00 to $2.50 for mine.

• Barbara Kelly
    15 years ago

So, after months of drooling over everyone's great bowling ball/gazing ball pictures, I bought one at the local TS. Now the hard part, what to do with it. I love the penny's, love the mirrors, love the granite painted look. I also love the solid colors, glass marble covered ones, and someone did one with dragon flies on it, love that too. Now how do I make a decision? Akkkkkkkkk, so conflicted, help!

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

lol...
    if you read my reply in the 'new roll call' post, where I was telling about all the things I had buried up in the hills....well, along the stash I had, were about 50 of the balls, mostly all black ones..( I know, I showed no restraint, back in those days)..that I got free from a bowling alley..
    I had them stashed under the porch at the house we were renting..
    the two truck loads of other things from the yard, had already been buried and when it came time to move, I remembered all the balls..so, what to do with them?
    I wasn't going to haul them all to the house here, so we loaded them up and rather than bury them, they're out in the woods..
    now, when a hunter tracks a deer, he can pretty well figure where it has been, by the deer droppings..
    I've wondered, from time to time, what any hunter has wondered, if they happen upon those 50 plus balls, out there, along the hunting trails......

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

or rather, 'junkie memories--J train' ...
    has anyone dared to cover a ball with other change?..lol

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022