Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtadmin

What lawn mower to purchase? Or do I stick with what I have?

jtadmin
14 years ago

The wife and I just purchased our first home. The lawn is small (http://tinypic.com/r/2ql99wy/3). I currently own a push reel mover that was given to me, which I used to cut the yard this past weekend. After cutting multiple times in some areas because the unit probably needs a good sharpening it took me about 2 hours to cut, rake, and bag up the yard. After it was all said and done I was not happy with the results as it missed a lot of stuff but it looks better than before. Also I didn't mind spending the time outside but since in New Mexico the weather has been in the 90's I am looking for a quick cut and go.

So I have been thinking of getting a gas powered mower, if you think electric would be fine for this size of yard I am open to it, however I am looking to make a "hopefully" one time purchase on a lawn mower that can last me till I am old and grey with "proper maintenance" and I am not sure electric will last. So after checking out this forum and multiple sites I have come down to a handful of mowers. Price is really not an issue as the wife said I can spend as much as I want. So here are the units I am banging my head against the wall that I came up with based on reviews.

Toro 20330 - I like this unit because of the Briggs & Stratton engine which I have heard good things about, the other plus which may or may not be worth anything is the Quick-Wash washout port.

Honda HRR216VXA - I know this unit got slammed on the forums but my boss at work told me to stick with a Honda engine as they last forever so maybe there is a better one I can look at?

Lawn Boy 10641 - I like the green I don't know why, maybe it's because all the other mowers are red, however I have also seen great reviews on this unit.

All these mowers are self propelled as I am thinking about when I am grey and old and still mowing the yard or if the wife feels like mowing one day. However with more moving parts this might be a bad idea if I expect 20-30 years out of a mower. Also I have not gotten up close and personal with these units but as I am 6'4 they also need to be comfortable to push. Any feed back would great.

Thanks,

Joey

Comments (35)

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

If you want a mower that will last 20 years, you'll need to buy a commercial 21" walk behind mower from a manufacturer such as Husqvarna, Toro, Honda, Snapper, Ariens, Hustler, or Exmark. These mowers have heavy-duty commercial components and easily will last two decades in homeowner use with proper maintenance. However, as good as they are, commercial mowers have two disadvantages---they're heavy and they're very expensive ($800 and up).

As an alternative, you can get a premium homeowner mower from Snapper (Ninja mulcher and Hi-Vac), Toro (Super Bagger and Super Recycler), Honda (HRX series), or Ariens (LM series). Although lighter and not as heavy-duty as commercial units, these mowers are made with more robust components than the sub-$400 mowers found in the big box stores are. In addition, they cost less than commercial mowers ($500-$800). However, even with proper maintenance, they won't last as long as a commercial unit (but should last longer than the box store mowers). For some buyers, premium homeowner mowers are a good compromise between the low price of box store mowers and the longevity of commercial mowers.

Hope this helps.

• yungman
    14 years ago

Why is it important to keep it that long? If you are not into fancy stuff, a cheaper one will do the job and cost half. YOu can buy the second one later. There is really no guarantee of longivity even if you pay a lot. YOu might still have problem and cost you over $100 to have it fix. So if you just want a tool to get the job done, it is not wrong to get one about $250, for close to $300, you can get one with Honda GVC160 engine.

But if you treat it like a toy and you want the best.....like me, then yes, go for the commercial. Be prepare to pay $700+ for one. That is what I am planning.

• perrymk
    14 years ago

I'm the non-expert on this board.

My feelings is sharpen those blades and get an electric string trimmer for what the reel mower misses. I used to use a manual reel mower (now have too much lawn to mow) and it worked fine unless I hit a pine cone. That doesn't look like an issue for you. Of course I kept the blades sharp. I purchased a sharpening kit but in hindsight I think a Dremel tool was more effective. Also keep the blade aligned with the crossbar for proper cutting.

If you really must, get an electric rotary mower.

Either option makes lawn care a breeze, no gas to buy, no oil to change, virtually no maintenance.

• jtadmin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback! yungman I am an american that can dream can't I? :D Anyways I don't think anything will last for ever but I still have an old 486 that still boots up and that thing is at least 16 years old. Again thank you all for your comments I am leaning more towards commercial with what ever I buy.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

I'd say a cordless electric mower would do the trick there. A regular gas mower would be overkill - I don't think it would run long enough to even fully warm up each time. Many years ago, Sears Craftsman came out with a cordless reel mower called the 'Reel One' (named like the 'Eager One' gas mower), but something happened and they never hit the stores. I think a cordless reel would be great for conditions like this, but I don't know if one is being made.

Here is a link that might be useful: His Yard

• skane1
    14 years ago

Hi
    I'd go with the Honda powered 7021P Husqvarna 3in1 push mower with rear bagger and blade brake.
    I checked out all of the top rated mowers before decided to go with the Husqvarna mower.What I like about this mower is that it has none of the bells and whistles but it does an amazing job cutting,bagging,and mulching. The mower is very lite and easy to manuver plus the handles even fold up so that you can store it.
    I had checked the mower out online and I eventually went to the local Husqvarna dealer here in town to have a closer more detailed look and the rest is history.I know I have chosen the best push mower available and I was also able to stay within my budget aswell which was awsome!
    This mower is very afordable and is a real bargin in my opinion for what you are getting.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.husqvarna.com

• skane1
    14 years ago

Any mower can last 10 years plus if you look after it and keep the unit maintained.
    Another great mower on the market is John Deere's B&S powered JS25 self-propelled model.It has all of the bells and whistles but this mower's only issue is it's price.
    Any mower that is B&S or Honda powered will last you a long time but you gotta look after it and keep it maintained.
    Before I bought my new Husqvarna 7021P the JS25 was my 1st choice but the local JD dealer here in town didn't carry walk-behind mowers any more so I went with Husqvarna and I'm very glad I did cuz I got myself a great mower for alot less han the JS25 and I didn't have to give up quality and durability either.

• yungman
    14 years ago

Hey Jtadmin

From your first post, I kind of figure this already. You are just like me, like toys!!!

It is perfectly ok!!! After I manage to fix my cheap mower, I actually kind of regret fixing it!!! Running it with no oil actually cross my mind to give an excuse to my big boss.....wife to buy a new commercial!!!!

Don't repeat to my wife!!!!

• gorper99
    14 years ago

Big Yard there.Better get the Scag Turf Tiger.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

Pay no attention to the skank...whoops, I mean skunk...no wait, 'skane' behind the curtain - he recommends the same junk to everybody for every situation. You need a gas mower like a hole in the head.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neuton

• skane1
    14 years ago

I don't think saxman1's rude comments are called for especially when I am not being rude towards him.
    I only recommend mowers etc that I would use myself and I own a few Husky items and the are all very high quality and reliable.
    If you stick with any of the top names in outdoor power equipment you will find a great mower that does what you want it to.
    jtadmin: just do the research and check out the reviews and you will find the right mower.

• yungman
    14 years ago

I would stay with gas mower. I was just in Sears, they are at least $399 to $500. The battery life is questionable, pretty sure not going to be 10 years. They are 18" or 19" only.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

yungman; did you look at his yard? He has about 500 sq. ft. to mow. An 18" mower is perfect. Putting a 6.5 HP 21" mower in that yard would be ridiculous. That's 13 passes of 22' each. That takes about 3 minutes. Now if he could find an old 19" Lawn-Boy to play with, that would be another matter.

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

Now that I've seen a picture of the original poster's yard, I agree with saxman---a cordless electric mower is well suited to a yard this size. A gas mower (*any* gas mower) is overkill for this yard.

• skane1
    14 years ago

You won't see any of the new electric mowers still working in 20 years.They make them way to cheap unlike the older models that ar still going after 20 and 30 years.
    ALL I'm saying is that if you go electric you will be buying a new mower sooner than later.
    You said price wasn't an issue well maybe go with a robotic mower for about $1,500-$3,000 and you just forget about it and the mower does it all while you watch.
    I'd go with a basic small Honda powered push mower made by many of the top names.

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

When the original poster upgrades to a house with a larger yard, *then* it's time to look at gas mowers. As long as he stays where he is (which, hopefully, won't be anywhere near twenty years), an electric mower is all he needs.

• yungman
    14 years ago

It is his money, he want a fancy toy that last, buy a commercial gas mower it is. I understand where he come from. To him.....to me also, this is a toy. He do not want to buy something and regret later. Whether it is over kill is besides the point. That's why I ask him pretty clear on this.

I am a home owner, but I have the top commercial equipments enough for at least a 3 men crew!!! Hey, it is cheaper than someone that is into cars!!!! Well, I do have a 3000sqft yard!!!

• snappy1
    14 years ago

I would also go commercial. The difference in quaility is unbelievable. Also if you take care of it, it will be with you at every house for the next twenty years! Sounds like you are into it also, therefore your next house needs more lawn! Good luck!!

• jtadmin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, more comments than I can shake a stick at. Well after more reading and reviews I think I am going with the Snapper SPVH21675 since I can get a deal from the local shop. I don't think it's so much the mower is it's the B&S v.s. Honda engine which is the harder choice.

As for the lawn, that it's boys. I live in New Mexico where you can only water twice a week, and if they catch you watering out side that you get a nice little fine, so 95% of the yard is gravel. As for toys the wife is letting me buy a 350Z but I have to wait for the Alero to die which doesn't seem to be happening soon enough.

• yungman
    14 years ago

Honda GCV160 is a lot better. If I am not mistaken, the B&S is the Quantum engine. It is the same engine I have on my cheapy. It is only rated moderate duty.

This is what I am looking at:
    http://www.snapper.com/products/walk-behind/details.cfm?id=Endeca.67930

With the Kawasaki FJ180V engine. This is a true commercial engine.

I am also considering this only with the Kawi FJ180v:
    http://www.ariens.com/products_lawn/l_walkbehind_group/l_lm_21sw/Pages/default.aspx

Arien is not a true commercial yet, but it is 14 gauge steel deck with front casters. This one is about $720

• perrymk
    14 years ago

Just a thought. If you get a fancy commercial mower then all your neighbors will want to borrow it. And they won't offer to buy gas either. They won't even clean the clippings from the underside. Don't ask me how I know this.

• parkplaza
    14 years ago

With that size lawn...get the smallest and cheapest mower. I know they sell $99 lawnmowers, small engine push mowers. You may want to consider a corded electric mower....less maintenance.

• snappy1
    14 years ago

Well... I guess if you are under those regulations in new Mexico, and don't plan on increasing your lawn size ever, I would not get a commercial. But I do like where your head is at with the snapper concept. My brother in law's dad has had a snapper for 17 years and hauled it up to there cabin in tahoe, and bought a new one for his house. Not because he needed, to but because he was "sick of lookin at it!" They are pretty bullet proof. I just retired an old honda commercial for a commercial snapper hi vac and am very pleased so far. BTW My mom bought the honda in 1987!

• yungman
    14 years ago

What is hi vac really means? Do you have the one with B&S 875 engine or the FJ180V.

I have the B&S 875 engine on my front tine tiller. It is an OHV engine rated at Moderate duty. Which is a lot better than the normal L-head 675 Quantum engine.

I have to Quantum on my mower. The first time I change oil only after 3 hours, it was all silverish black( aluminum particals). But when I change oil on the 875 Intek, it looked normal. They must have different process on the cylinder wall even though they both don't have iron sleeve.

I choose the FJ180V because it has iron lining.

• snappy1
    14 years ago

yungman, I have the FJ180V model. Not sure about the metal in your oil, other than it may be part of the break in cycle. The hi vac term is the bagging system, and correct me guys if I am wrong, but it creates more suction in turn lifting the grass blades and stuffing the bag better. For instance my neighbors blank dog thinks it is cool to poop on my lawn, and before I would have to hunt for it and pick it up. With the hi vac I just go right over it and it sucks it right up! No more stinky shoes. BTW not a little dog either!

• yungman
    14 years ago

Thanks. the color is from break in. My point is it shaved so much where the Intek had none of that. So either the finishing is rough originally and/or there is no thin layer of material like chrome or other wear resistance material on the cyclinder wall.

I like the idea of hi vac of Snapper. I always use bag and my last problem with my cheap mower was it did not pickup the clippings, all clog inside the tunnel going into the bag. I end up had to raise the rpm a lot higher. Now it drink gas like water!!! I would say double!!!

• cashmonee
    14 years ago

Commercial mowers? Seriously? In my opinion, no homeowner should ever consider going commercial. There really is little to no point in doing so. I use an HRC-216 from Honda when I help my father-in-law with his landscape business, and while it is a great machine, it is way more than I would ever need for ~52 times a year. Also, when something does go wrong, they are very expensive to fix.

My advice for the OP is to sharpen the blade on the reel he has now and get it working well. Maybe add a weedeater, probably electric, so you don't have to store gas. If the reel has a hard time with your type of grass then go with a cheap mulching mower, gas or electric. When you find yourself with a larger lawn, then consider a premium residential mower like a Super Recycler or Honda. What you want to look for at that point is a decent engine and non-rusting deck. Also, if you do not need self-propelled, don't get it. It adds to the cost and complexity of the mower and is one more thing that can break.

Looking at your lawn, a large self-propelled commercial would almost be more of a hassle to use than something smaller and more nimble like the reel mower you have or a 19"ish electric.

Also, the money you save could be put towards more landscaping. There are plenty of plants and such that are drought resistant. That would do far more to beautify your lawn than a mower.

• snappy1
    14 years ago

cashmonee, I have to say I agree with your recommendation for the OP. But I have a commercial mower and wouldn't have it any other way. I have a large lawn though and can justify it a little better. I also have a ton of poured in place mow strip that is vicious on wheels, axles, etc. After knocking wheels off of harmonys, borrowed of course! I went commercial.

• yungman
    14 years ago

Anyone have the front caster type of mower like the Ariens LM21SW? I know it is much easier to turn tight corners but I also heard that it is harder to keep it on a straight line. Anyone can comment on this?

There is a lot of truth about the more complicate the mower, the more chance it break and cost more to fix. Which commercial mower have to simplest drive that can be easily fixed by owners? I know the Honda Hydro can be very expensive to replace. If my yard is smaller, I would really get a commercial push mower.

• sarah238
    14 years ago

remote control lawn mowers would be a compromise to your troubles in deciding gas or electric. These mowers are hybrids :) I am looking to get one for my dad.

Here is a link that might be useful: remote control lawn mower

• yungman
    14 years ago

I just saw one in the Husky catalog!!! They are not remote. They mow by itself on timer. And it will sound alarm if being lifted up in case someone want to pict it up and take it away. But from the picture, they don't have much of capacity of holding clippings.

• rowentree
    14 years ago

Pretty obvious i know, but go for a cordless lawnmower. SAft first teehee! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: cordless vs corded!

• skane1
    14 years ago

Hi You should consider very carefully all of the top brands of mowers and then look at their user reveiws. Go to the stores or dealers and check the mowers out up close and personal.You can also ask people that own the mowers how they are performing.

• gregoreo22_juno_com
    13 years ago

Honestly, looking at your yard, I'd say get a fresh reel mower and be done with it. You hardly have any grass! I'm looking at the Husqvarna 7021P for my average sized yard with lost of leaves, nuts, thick grass, etc. But why not spend less, not pay for gas or maintenance, and spend the money on some landscaping?

• viperguy17g1
    13 years ago

I have one of the old lawnboy 10552 2 cycle, electric start, mowers I would like to sell. It's excellent condition with a new battery. I'm thinking $650, does that sound like a good price?

Charleston WV