Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czz_eddie

Why does my grass grow these long stalks so quickly?

czz_eddie
13 years ago

My home is ten years old. I think it was St. Augustine grass? Last summer's heat wave/drought killed most of the grass, so I seeded with whatever the guy at home depot suggested. I can't remember what it was.

The lawn has filled back out now.

But it's going nuts! I mowed just two days ago and already these long stalks have grown a foot! I've been having to mow every few days lately! And there are patches of really ugly, thick-thick bladed grass. Is it really grass?

Hopefully these pictures will show up.

{{gwi:109384}}

{{gwi:109385}}

{{gwi:109386}}

{{gwi:109387}}

Comments (15)

• czz_eddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I didn't know there were weeds that looked like grass. Do you know of a weed killer for it, or do I need to pull it all out?
    I wouldn't mind overseading with more bermuda, if that's what it is. It's been growing slowly enough for my taste. It's that ugly grass that's killing me with its rapid growth!!!!

Thanks!

• john_in_sc
    13 years ago

The fast and easy solution to this....

Read and follow the Bermuda Bible... Try it out on 1-section that gets FULL sun and was seeded heavily with Bermuda if you are cautious...

The super low mowing height and super high fertilizer input tends to burn up and scalp almost every other weed and other grass to death and the bermuda spreads really fast to fill in holes..... I found that 3-months into "Bermuda Bible" culture -- I have almost no weeds or other grasses left in my bermuda.... No weed killers needed... Just mowing real low, very frequently, and fertilizing the heck out of it.... My bermuda is now amazingly thick and a spectacular beautiful green color... It's literally choking out the last of the residual Crab grass as we speak.... and it was a weed pit this spring with several different types of grass and weeds growing all over the place.... and very patchy with big spaces between sod pieces... Now, that's all gone... Assimilated into a short, green carpet....

Weed killer wise... You are trying to kill a Grass... Not a Broad leaf weed... so you need a product that kills GRASS... Unfortunately... Grass killers are very good at killing Grass... so they will also kill the grass you want to keep... and leave big brown dead holes...

Turns out that plain 'ole Round-up is the ticket if you feel like you need to spray something... but a good sharp hoe works pretty well too...

Or... you could just try out the Bermuda Bible and make your neighbors jealous...

Thanks

John

• texas_weed
    13 years ago

OK that stuff with long stalks is good ole fashion goose grass, a weed in your Bermuda lawn.

• obsolete
    13 years ago

Well, technically grass is really a weed in itself.

• botanicalbill
    13 years ago

A weed is defined as something you do not want in your lawn, so if you want goose grass in your lawn, then by all means, its not a weed.
    I have considered of growing my lawn and seeding crab grass, therefore, my lawn would be weed free.
    I dislike StAug and dont want it and consider it a weed in my lawn, as an example.
    ( c :

• czz_eddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Today I mowed with the second lowest setting my mower offers. This afternoon I'll go to Home Depot and purchase more bermuda seed.

Austin, TX is forecast for a few days of rain over the next week, so I'll seed tonight.

I just laid down lawn treatment 40-50 days ago. It was the Scotts summer guard I think. Should I apply more today or in a couple of weeks? Or just the seed and call it a day?

Thanks!

• john_in_sc
    13 years ago

Yes... Put down more fertilizer now. It will look like a total wreck if you don't.

Bermuda is a Nitrogen Hog -- it needs lots of fertilizer to really green up and grow... You gotta kick it into Overdrive so that it fills in all the dead spots from all the other stuff dying...

Now.. Don't get discouraged if it looks pretty rough while the residual scalped "Junk Grass" dies off and the Bermuda takes over...

Just keep after it... Keep mowing short, Keep fertilizing lots until about 1 month before the first frost... It WILL happen sooner than you think!

Thanks

John

• czz_eddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

Okay,, I couldn't find the Bermuda Bible's recommended fertilizer at HD, Lowes or my neighborhood nursery. So I ended up using Scotts Starter Fertilizer, which does have nitrogen in it. As well as phosphur which the HD lady said our land needs.

I also filled in a few dips with topsoil. Then I raked everything down to help the seed & fertilizer make it under the grass blades somewhat.

It should start raining here on Tuesday for the next several days!

I'll put more fertilzer down in 30 days!

• john_in_sc
    13 years ago

What you are looking for is a fertilizer with a Big 1st number and Small 2nd and 3rd numbers....

39-0-0, 29-0-5, etc.... Remember... High 1st number, Low other numbers....

Flip over the bag and look at the analysis... You are looking for the words "Poly coated Urea" This means "Slow Release"

There is plenty of this stuff available at HD and Lowe's... though it isn't the Lesco product that TW recommends in the Bermuda Bible....

Use up your Starter Fertilizer at Bermuda Bible Rate -- then start buying something like 29-0-5 or 39-0-0 for the rest of the season....

Thanks

John

• garycinchicago
    13 years ago

>"Okay,, I couldn't find the Bermuda Bible's recommended fertilizer at HD"

It's there, but you have to turn the bag over, LOL!
    Look for this at HD. It's not as good as what TDub suggests, but it would suit the HD buyer.

....... click link ............

Here is a link that might be useful: 35-0-5

• czz_eddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I'll try again next month. I actually showed the lady at HD the actual text from the bermuda bible. I had it saved to my iPhone. She said they didn't have it. She "sounded" knowledgeable. But she may just not have understood what it was I was looking for.

• john_in_sc
    13 years ago

Yep -- I have some of that Vigoro Super Green as well... Looks like it will do the trick.

There is a similar Scott's product... Something along the lines of a 32-0-5 that looks promising... Polycoated Urea + Potassium Sulphate + a bunch of minor elements and Iron.... They call it "Southern Turf Builder" or something like that around here... but they may call it something different where you're at.

Thanks

• dee_vegas
    7 years ago

"That big tall thing is what we call a "Weed" — LOL!

• User
    7 years ago

Took you 6 years to get the joke? :-)