Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whfan

B&S OHV popping at idle

whfan
13 years ago

I am helping a neighbor with his sons mower. It is a Toro 17-44 HLX Lawn Mower with a 17 hp B&S OHV engine, 312777-0128-E1. It seemed to run OK at high rpm, but randomly pops at idle. We thought we could hear a compression leak and decided to check the valves (we later realized this engine has a compression release for easier starting, like Kohlers, and that is probably the leak we heard). We pulled the head and found oil fouling. The head gasket had been leaking between the cylinder and push rod galley (this seems to be a common problem). We cleaned up all of the fouling and carbon, lapped the valves, put on a new gasket, torqued the head to spec (at 6 different torques and finishing at 250 inlbs) and reset the valves (.004 intake and .006 exhaust). We started it up and it is better, but still randomly pops at idle. We thought the carb seemed pretty clean when we pulled the bowl, so we didn't initially clean it. After all of this, we went ahead and pulled the carb down for an overnight soak. Does anyone have any ideas and if not is there a good place to go for B&S help? Could the compression release be randomly cracking the exhaust valve at idle or could we have blown the new head gasket again?? I'm grasping at straws here as I write this thread!!

Comments (3)