Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jb_989

Easiest way to topdress?

jb989
16 years ago

I have 10K sq feet to overseed and don't have a riding mower. What are my options for putting on topdressing? If I use a wheelbarrow and shovel I foresee serious back pain.

Also, what are recommended types of topdress and where can I obtain them? topsoil, peat moss, etc.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• rlembke
    16 years ago

I've wondering the same thing and done quite a bit of research. They have dedicated compost spreaders but I don't see where they have quite made it to rental places yet.

My plan is to top dress by the wheelbarrow load, spreading it quick-n-dirty by slinging it out of a 5 gallon bucket. I figure this is less back-intensive and a bucket full should be more than a shovel full. If needed, I'm going to sharpen up one side of the bucket so it cuts into the compost pile better.

We'll see if the image in my head matches up with reality!

Rob

• billhill
    16 years ago

It seems that everyone relates topdressing with overseeding and/or renovating their lawns. Forget that idea for the moment. Topdressing with a good compost is excellent for your lawn AT ANY TIME. It is one of the best things you can do for the health of your lawn. Topdressing with sand or native soil is good for leveling bumps and ruts in the lawn. The above topdressing practices, although good, have nothing to do with seeding or overseeding. Now lets talk renovating and overseeding. Mulching your seeds after planting on bare soil is a good idea to preserve moisture a little and maybe increase seed  soil contact. For mulching, some use clean straw, or compost (my favorite), or top soil, or sprinkle a some peat. This step is optional and controversial. Some like it, some donÂt. If you are overseeding, then topdressing is even less necessary because there is already grass and thatch in the lawn helping to hold moisture. But as I said before topdressing with compost is one of the best things one can do for their lawn. It is "old school" organic lawn care. There is nothing better. Labor intensive, yes, but well worth it. Bill Hill

• parafly9
    16 years ago

I bought a pitchfork which significantly increases my ability to pick up and toss the compost. Then I bought a 36" wide landscaping rake which quickly spreads it out. I think I am just going to toss out piles and then rake it out, I have abou 15000 square feet and I think it will probably take me the better part of a day.

• jeannie7
    16 years ago

I cant see a garden fork lifting sufficient volume of topsoil to spread properly without a lot of extra effort.
    A spade will lift sufficient amounts to better control the strewing by throwing it out just above the surface and have it not pile up in any particular fashion.
    Then a quick fan raking to spread it better.

A half-inch (or inch) of topsoil/compost/peat moss can be an ideal basis for overseeding or just giving the lawn a nice pick-me-up of something it can use.

Some household composts by this time of season has attained that nice crumbly nature that will filter through the fingers and so might be spreadable by the fertilizer spreader set on a high setting. It wouldn't do though to have to always push it through the spreader so use that tool only if the topsoil can be effectively spread.