Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

A question for those who have had chemo

gandle
14 years ago

Did it affect you emotionally? George has had the most stable personality of anyone I ever knew but after the last chemo session he is quite despondent and instead of the always upbeat person I know he has become quiet and seems to want to left alone, totally unlike him.. Doctor gave him some pills but said he would snap out of it in a week or so but it worries me.

Comments (19)

• mwoods
    14 years ago

Leone,a lot of it depends on the type of chemo. Each is very different with different side effects.He could just be depressed from the whole situation and I'm sure after already having gone through it once,it could be a matter of his feeling enough is enough right now. Is he still having infusions or is that over now? If you like and trust your doctor,listen to what he says at least for awhile longer.It must awfully hard on you to see George with all his ups and downs and good days and bad days. Wish I could sit there with you and have a cup of coffee and listen to that Nebraska wind blow through. I remember it well. To answer your question,no,I didn't feel depressed at all with chemotherapy. However,if and when I have to go through it again,I think it will be another can of worms. Hang in there sweetie.

• shilty
    14 years ago

Hello Leone!

Drs. routinely prescribe prednisone, it makes people feel
    young and healthy again while they're dealing with the pits caused by chemo.

There are all sorts of meds to help even the keel during this time, and anything that makes him feel comfortable and able to do this is a good thing..

Watch how the pills the Dr. gave make him feel, and if not an improvement in 2-3 days, call Dr. again...

Look it up on the net..

Take heart... he's still standing and that's a good sign.
    s

• anneliese_32
    14 years ago

Like Marda said, much depends on the kind of chemo you get. The first couple of month I was ok, then I had to take a break on account of my low red blood cells and was put on another type of chemo. I don't know if it was the chemo, or the fact that I was told it would take much longer, but for a couple of weeks I felt in the dumps. Chemo was changed back again, I was my normal upbeat self but could not taste a thing. All in all I had 14 chemo sessions of 3 days each over the course of 7 month but was down in the dumps only during the time I was on the different medication. I know my husband was worried when there were no wisecracks flying around. I think that George's mood changes back to his normal self after the chemo, as my taste did once it was over.
    My candle is still lighted for both of you, wish I could help you in some way besides sending you sunflowers.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Been there....done that and have the tee shirt to show for it...
    I was not "despondent" but one drug just made me feel icky....and that was decadron, given to ease the effects of the chemo.
    George may just be dealing with the natural feelings a healthy active man would have when he gets seriously ill and can't do what he used to do.
    Tell the Dr your concerns....one drug that helped me at various times was Atavan...in half the recommended dose.
    And you know what? Chemo stinks....makes you feel rotten....and who could blame him for being a bit down!
    Linda C

• kathyjane
    14 years ago

Leone, I just want to add I still have you both in my prayers and think about you daily.
    I wish I could help more.
    Just know I care about you both.
    Keep your chin up and thank you for all your updates----it's kind of you to take the time for us.
    KJ

• instar8
    14 years ago

My bro-in -law is in his third year of brain cancer, the same kind Ted Kennedy had, which usually kills within 18 months...he's had sooo much chemo and radiation, plus the predisone and decadron, and has gone through all kinds of personality changes, depressions, confusion, even seizures for the first year.

BIL Marvin was always the mellowest guy you'd ever want to meet...he had to be, my sister is even moodier than me...these days you just never know, when i'm around him, i just check to see which way the wind's blowing and act accordingly, that comes pretty naturally to me.. But he's working part-time, he's there for his adult kids, and everyone who knows him is just glad he's still here, even on the bad days.

I hope the storms blow over soon!

• mjmercer
    14 years ago

What Kathyjane said.

Hugs,
    Karen

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Everyone is different. My nephew was diagnosed with leukemia at the same time I had my tumor taken out. He was bloated and it saddened him to only be able to sit and watch the other kids run and jump and play. Bald kid after chemo, but grew back curly hair!? Chemo is a strange thing. Matt is now tall, thin, and runs hard. It'll pass Leone. It may be just as hard to watch someone you love go through this as it is to go through it yourself. Holding you two in our thoughts and prayers.

-Robin

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

I had a very easy time with my chemo, and I was just a young thing 16 years ago, so I can't really speak to the chemical side effects.

My doctor did give me two pieces of advice that I found very helpful. One: Let people help, even if you don't need it, they need it. Two: keep as much to your normal routine as possible. (my roommate at the time insisted that meant I still had to wash dishes!!!)

It can sometimes feel easier to hide out than to face your friends. I will say I think my roomie had a harder time than me. Very few people would ask me directly how things were going, but she said she got SO tired of everyone asking her about me.

My doctor gave me prednisone too...it made me dream of new recipes! My boss claimed the steriods changed my personality (and apparently not in a better way ;) ), I never noticed it though.

Lisa

• User
    14 years ago

DIL was a bit cranky while having Chemo but now has her hair back and it is curlier. Her personality has improved even over before she went through it. Do not know what meds she had to take but they are a factor in many things including attitude.

Thinking of the two of you often. Keep on keepin on.

• sheila
    14 years ago

Leone, I have no personal experience to offer to your actual question except to say that I imagine George is feeling overwhelmed by this. A natural reaction, particularly from someone who is used to being well, being in charge of his life.

I see you say he wants to be alone. Perhaps he will be okay with you simply sitting quietly with him and holding his hand? The companionship of silence is often comforting.

I will pick up a warm pebble from the beach for George when I go down there with the dog this morning. I will hold the pebble and think about George and take him on our walk with us. Let's see if we can draw some good strength for him from the bouncing waves in the bay and today's sunlight sparkling like diamonds on the water.

I'm picking up a pebble for you too.

• mawheel
    14 years ago

Leone, you and George are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hopefully, the fact that so many folks are doing the same thing for/about the two of you will be comforting.

(((((George and Leone)))))

• User
    14 years ago

DIL was a bit cranky while having Chemo but now has her hair back and it is curlier. Her personality has improved even over before she went through it. Do not know what meds she had to take but they are a factor in many things including attitude.

Thinking of the two of you often. Keep on keepin on.

• gandle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm O.K. Quite unhappy because I should be at the museum instead of sitting around the house. Not supposed to be where a lot of people are, was told to stay out of stores, don't go to church stay away from babies and rest homes as long as I have a compromised immune system. There are two jobs not done in my shop that I told people I'd have by May, now I'm wondering May what year. I'm not going to turn on a table saw while my balance isn't too good, that would really be dumb.

Leone is working now at the museum and it will hurt to have her tell me about the people she met. Funny how a volunteer job can grab you as much as a paying one.

Have a 7 hour chemo set up for next Wednesday hope it is the last long one for a while. Scan says we are making good progress whatever that means.

No, I'm not depressed just kind of blue.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Well you just go ahead and be blue. After all, you're making good progress.

:)

• User
    14 years ago

Some times it is good to see life from a different angle. I get so stuck in my ruts that I will automatically drive right by a place I intend to go because I am used to turning at a certain corner for something else. Need shaking up occasionally and expand my routine. Not saying the reason is a good one but take advantage of the difference. Do you like to build models? Seems I remember a model ship you built once.

• anneliese_32
    14 years ago

The missing interaction with others can be hard. You are so used to having conversations with people, greeting strangers and explaining, answering questions. The cat is not a very good conversationalist. No wonder you feel blue and you are entitled to it. I had it easier, since I am somewhat of a loner and it don't bother me if nobodys talks to me, but Christmas without family was a bummer.
    Hope it is over soon.

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

George, I hope you can get out and about soon. That would be very hard. I was lucky enough to be able to continue everything as much as possible.

My mom, though, had to stay away from church and other large gatherings. It was really hard on her. She used to make me laugh though. She stayed home and made food for "sick" people. It always made me giggle.

Congratulations on the good scan! I do hope you feel better soon.

Lisa

• Pidge
    14 years ago

George, I haven't been around for a while but I've read about what you are enduring--just want to add to what everyone else has said and hope that you get through all this okay.

Sponsored
More Discussions