Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
villav_gw

Serrated Leaves - what is this?

villav
11 years ago

A friend gave me this plant which is spreading rapidly. It is dark green, only about 6 inches right now, has serrated, pointy leaves with red veins and reddish undersides. Not sure if it blooms and how tall it will get. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

Looks like peppermint or spearmint.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i was thinking mint also ... you ought to be able to tell.. by crushing a leaf ... which would be a nice fact to add ...

if so ... will take over your whole yard.. if you let it ...

it will even take over the yard.. if you try to grow it in a pot.. just working its way out the bottom.. on its way to the neighbors house.. lol ...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I'm doubting mint. What does it smell like?

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

My first thought was a Campanula punctata. I have 'Cherry Bells' and it looks just like that - it is a terrible runner.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

like that is any better than a mint .. in terms of containing it ... lol ..

the key here is: not e3very free plant.. is a valuable plant ...

ken

ps: my other cliche is: give good plants to good friends... and types like these.. to peeps you dont want to come back to your garden ... what was your friend thinking ... lol

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I with Flora, not mint. Can you take a picture outside of the plants there? (I assume there are more from the spreading comment.)

FataMorgana

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Stems sure look round - mint stems are square, that is, they have distinct 'corners'....

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Mint has opposite leaves, and these are alternate, so not mint or mint family. Since it is spreading rapidly, you might want to put in a large pot instead of leaving it in the ground until it is IDed to prevent possible problems. Photos of the plant outside before you dig it up would be useful.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Drat - usually I spot that. But at the moment 2 years counts as recent ;-) We've had posts dragged up from a decade ago for some reason.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Maybe the thinking is that they are like fine wines or cheeses.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH