Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdpirate

What to do now with new Bermuda sod

pdpirate
11 years ago

I moved into our new home a month ago. Our sod was put down about 2 weeks before we closed so it has been down now for about 6 weeks. I do not want to pay someone to take care of it but I am totally new to this.

Does anyone have any advise you can share on what I should be doing at this point. I have been watering it twice a day for at least 30 minutes each time. Overall I think it looks good but I have a few brown patches and a few spots that are not filling in well. I have now cut it twice and both times have cut it on the highest setting. I am not sure exactly which type of Bermuda I have as it was put down by the builders landscaper.

I live in Raleigh,NC and we have been dealing with a lot of heat with most days being 95-100.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments (8)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Agree. I'm 99.9999999999% sure you have Tif 419. It is the most affordable turf in the industry and is used by contractors and landscapers all over the South.

I'd change the watering to 10 minutes. About all you have to do is keep the top inch cool - not saturated by any means. Once the sod has knit into the soil below, you're off to the races. Don't judge anything until you have that accomplished, you start backing way off on water, and get some fertilizer down. Eventually you'll be watering about an inch all at one time. Measure that with cat food or tuna cans to find out how long it takes your sprinkler system to put out that much water. Some do it in 20 minutes and some take 8 hours. You need to know that. In the cool months you'll only need to water once a month. In the warm months you'll be watering weekly.

Drop your mower one notch every week and mow it every other day. After a week drop it one more notch. You will scalp just a little off each time. Bermuda grows blades out from stems. When you mow down below the stems, it looks scalped. But it IS bermuda. It comes right back. By the time you get to the bottom notch, it will have cooled off enough that the lowest setting is the one to keep. If you want it to look much nicer, get a reel type mower and set that down to 1/2 inch. At that point it no longer grows stemmy. It takes on a completely different growth habit called prostrate. At that point it becomes the coolest carpet of grass ever. Picture a putting green.

I would wait to fertilize with chemicals until you have the grass mowed down all the way. Why? No real reason other than to give it that extra time to knit into the soil. In the mean time you can use organic fertilizer. Which ever one you choose, start at about 10 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Then in a month you can up that to 20 pounds and then up to 30 or more if you like and can afford it. Bermuda can take 50 pounds per month if you can do that. Most people opt for chemical fertilizers to simplify the fertilizing.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

I have now cut it twice and both times have cut it on the highest setting.

You need to find the Bermuda Bible and read it. You are doing about everything you can possible do to kill your grass.

At 6 weeks you should have mowed around 12 to 20 times.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

TW wrote the bermuda bible and used to be in the sod farming biz. Memorize that thang.

• pdpirate
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The roots have taken in most spots now and my grass looks great. I have not been cutting it low because I had multiple people tell me that with the extreme heat we have been having to keep it high until we get through this season and then next year to start bringing it down lower. TW it sounds like you are the man when it comes to bermuda so I will probably be asking you a few questions along the way. Am I ok with the temperatures still hovering around 100 to go ahead and bring the height down?

The first time I cut my yard I scalped it in a few places becuase my yard has some unlevel spots from when they landscaped. Will those spots come back and what can I do to level out these spots now that the roots have already taken?

The Bermuda Bible, is this a book or is it just a PDF? I have found it on the internet I believe but just want to make sure I am looking at the correct thing.

Dchall san antonio, you mention using and organic fertilizer for right now, is there a particular kind that you recommend that can be purchased from the big box stores like Lowes?

Thanks for all of the reponses.

• nearandwest
    11 years ago

I live in the Durham, NC area and understand the heat issue for your lawn, but we are not experiencing anything like the good folks out in the midwest part of the country.

One of the first things I would suggest you do is to take soil samples and submit them to a lab for testing. You cannot possibly know how to properly feed your lawn until you know what it needs or doesn't need. Too much or too little of a necessary nutrient can significantly impact the development of your turf. It is my understanding that Logan Labs in Ohio has provided an adequate soil test result for many people on this site. The cost per sample is $20 and it is a comprehensve test result. If you post the results here after you receive them, someone will interpret the results for you. The turnaround for receiving results has typically been about 3-4 days.

You will want to gradually start changing your watering schedule so that you are applying more water per application, but the applications are less frequent. Quite frankly, I think one 30 minute watering per day early in the morning is sufficient for now. By doing this, you will be causing the roots to start the process of going down deeper into the soil. Watering more frequently causes turf roots to remain near the soil surface, and this is not a good thing as the bermuda becomes more developed. By Labor Day, your watering schedule should have been gradually reduced to watering once in the morning every 2 to 3 days.

I would say that for now just keep your mower setting where it is. At this stage, you are not going to harm your grass by keeping it mowed at a higher height of cut; but next year will be a different story.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

pdpirate if you live in NC, trust me, it is not hot where you live, nor has it been dry. Hot and Dry is 100+ degree temps for weeks and months at a time with no rain from late May to September. Mid and upper 90's with humidity Bermuda grass thrives in as it is a Tropical variety..

Even in extremely hot parts of the Country like TX to southern AZ hybrid Bermuda should never exceed 2 inches during drought conditions.

If you found the PDF Bermuda Bible, the hint is bestlawn should answer your question.

• PRO
    NG Turf
    3 years ago

I recently moved to Northern Georgia and the home we moved into has a bermuda grass lawn. I found this lawn care calendar from the UGA extension office really helpful to tell me what I am supposed to do and when: https://ngturf.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Bermudagrass-Lawn-Calendar.pdf

Bermuda grass does require a bit more maintenance than other grass varieties, but the recovery with kids and pets playing on the lawn is key!

I called NG Turf when we moved in to ask general questions about how to take care of new sod (there was a sign in the lawn indicating that was the sod company). They were so knowledgeable and patient answering all of my lawn care questions.