Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Earth shaking, important question

gandle
12 years ago

What is the difference between liverwurst and braunschweiger? Told you it was an important question.

Comments (10)

• mawheel
    12 years ago

I don't know the answer, but it will be interesting to find out. I've never eaten either of those foods--and doubt I ever will, but if the question ever comes up in polite conversation, think how knowledgeable I'll be! LOL

• mwoods
    12 years ago

Now I want some..lots of mustard and mayo. I just Googled it and the main difference is that braunschweiger is smoked and liverwurst isn't. Consequently the former has a stronger taste. A taste test would be kind of interesting.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Liverwurst on a cracker or mushy white bread for me please!

• User
    12 years ago

Memories, had it when a kid and have not thought of it in ages. it would be good on the thin heavy pumpernickel bread toasted with onion, mayo, mustard and dill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting site

• lilod
    12 years ago

Marda is correct, Braunschweiger is smoked - I like it better than liverwurst, which seems greasy to me. In German delis you can also get a Braunschweiger that is harder, can be sliced instead of spread, and has little flecks of bacon in it - yum!

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

I like liverwurst better Lilo. Smiles. But I have to have lots of mustard on it like Marda. Some mayo is good too. Haven't had it in many years though. Funny how we tend to not buy things our spouse doesn't care to eat. Lilo in New Orleans they have liver cheese. It's liverwust in big squares surrounded by a thin coating of fat. Now that I don't like.

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Shoot1 All this time I thought liverwurst was made from liver and braunschweiger was made out of braunies. Steve

• Mrobbins
    12 years ago

Steve, you wag!

My dad grew up in a Pennsylvania Dutch area and claimed he learned there to serve liverwurst in an open sandwich: one slice of white bread, one slice of liverwurst about a quarter inch thick, and a few thinly sliced circles of raw sweet onion on top. Eat with knife and fork, and a beer (or birch beer if you're underage/dry).

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Is that what we used to call liver saugage when I was a kid?

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

There are several types of liverwurst, most of them were area specific, now available all over and since Germany still has many butchershops, all have their own recipe. Leberkaese (liver cheese) has no liver (don't ask me why) it is a baked meatloaf type cold cut and getting it still hot from the butcher was my favorite treat.