Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
extremez

Should I apply fertilizer again?

extremez
10 years ago

Labor Day weekend I renovated my backyard. Its coming up nicely. About a week and a half later. I applied a 14-19-14 winterizer starter.

Should I apply a higher nitrogen fertilizer for my TTTF?

Comments (6)

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Yes, but as late as possible, preferably in November. Z4 gets a lot colder faster than we do in KC. Use a high nitrogen quick release fertilizer and apply 1 to 1.5 pounds of nitrogen per 1000 square feet. If you use a 21% N fertilizer, that's five pounds of fertilizer, so look for cheap granulated urea (45-0-0) and apply that. You'll only need 2 pounds per 1000 square feet and will get a lot more bang for your buck.

Your lawn doesn't need anything except nitrogen going in to winter, and TTTF needs a lot of it to green up nice and thick in the spring.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

deleted another duplicate.

This post was edited by MulchMama on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 18:22

• extremez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so let me see if I have this right.

If I can't find urea at my local nursery and have to settle for something different. My TTTF should get about 2.5 lbs of N for the entire year. So I buy a mix of 24-0-12.

2.5/.24=10.5 lbs per 1000sqft yearly. 10.5/2 feedings = 5.25 lbs per 1000sqft.

So my roughly 6500sqft backyard needs about 34 lbs of fertilizer???

Have I been underfeeding my lawn or am I going to burn it to a crisp? Bag says covers 15000sqft so how would I set my spreader?

• extremez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by extremez on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 9:48

• extremez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Went through my shed and still have 36 or so lbs of turf builder. It has the Halts CG preventer in it though. It's a 30-0-4 blend and according to the label 16 of that 30 is urea.

Can I use this for my last fall feeding?

• jmcphail
    10 years ago

I am able to find 46% urea at a nearby county Ag co-op, $17 for 50#.

I apply less than an entire app and mix it with Milorganite, to help it work with my spreader, which isn't so good at distributing tiny amounts of fertilizer. If you use another fertilizer as a carrier do the calculation to understand how much you'll put down, to make sure you're not overdosing.

I set my spreader low and make a pass and adjust the distribution rate. My goal is to keep the spreader set tight and make multiple passes in perpendicular patterns to get even coverage, and to guarantee that I don't put down too much in any one spot.