Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Scotts weed & feed killed my fescue lawn - other suggestions?

Wayne Reibold
16 years ago

I bought some Scotts weed and feed, applied it to some test areas of my fescue lawn and it completely killed the weeds AND all of the grass. I carefully read the instructions before applying and followed directions. One thing I noticed is it said it cannot be applied to newly seeded lawns. I created/seeded my lawn summer of 2006 and did some overseeding of it in Spring 2007 and it's all nice and thick.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing and have suggestions of a better product that shouldn't kill my fescue? They typically sell this stuff in big bags so I don't want to keep buying different ones and trying them wasting $$.

I have some weeds sprinkled in my lawn and don't want them to get out of control.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (8)

• turf_toes
    16 years ago

Don't buy weed and feed products.

If you need a fertilizer, get a fertilizer.

If you need a weed killer, get a weed killer.

Weed & Feed products are a marketing scam, in my opinion.

• Billl
    16 years ago

I don't know if I would call them a scam, but they just aren't that useful.

As far a the lawn burning, are you sure you followed the directions? How hot was it? Did you water? How much did you apply to how big of an area?

• metal
    16 years ago

Correction-You killed your fescue lawn by misapplying Scott's Weed & Feed. Believe it or not, they sell a few bags of this stuff each year, and if it killed fescue when used correctly, you can be there would be a thousand threads here and everywhere else just like yours. What type of spreader did you use, did you calibrate it before using? Was the weather correct (not too hot). You can't just say you put it down and it died, there has to be a reason and we can pretty quickly "weed" out that it isn't the Scott's.

• Wayne Reibold
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Temps were in the low-mid 70s during day and low 50s at night when applied, only applied it in test areas, followed directions that stated to water down lawn before applying, lightly applied only in test areas (e.g., 2' x 2'), did not water for a couple of days after that (if I recall correctly it stated don't water after that so the granules stay stuck to the weeds).

Believe me, I followed the directions. The only clue I had on the packaging about what may have happened is the fescue isn't established enough, although at least some of it should be considering it was planted from seed and thriving the summer of 2006, just some overseeding to fill in spring 2007. I think the packaging says don't apply until you've mowed new grass at least a few times but my lawn had been mowed many times more than that.

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

I've been told by lawn care professionals that "weed 'n feed" products are not to be used when the soil is hot (late summer). They kill everything. These are early summer products that follow the "pre-emergence" treatments of springtime.

• vtec
    16 years ago

I think that Scotts weed and feed in particular is junk.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Thank you for the warning. Weed and feed products do not normally produce the results you are looking for, but they don't normally kill the turf.

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

I bought about $130. worth of Weed 'n Feed a few years ago- used as directed with very poor results. Contacted Scott's and they sent a check for full refund after I gave them the SKU numbers on the bags.

Suzi