Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emuw

What type of grass is this?

emuW
11 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what type of grass this is? It's 9/30 in Atlanta (7B.) I need to figure out how to fix this. Overseeding? It is being watered, but possibly not enough. I have fertilized or done anything since moving to this house about 4 months ago. I haven't fertilized.

http://ll-and-dav.smugmug.com/Other/Front-Grass/25664060_v47h2c

Here is a link that might be useful: What type of grass is this?

Comments (7)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

99% that's tall fescue, although it's hard to tell without close-ups. If it has a pointed tip that's not fused, ridges on the blades, and no central midrib, it's probably TTTF.

• emuW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I added a couple more pics...

Here is a link that might be useful: What type of grass is this?

• ZoysiaSod
    11 years ago

I'll second Tiemco. That does look like tall fescue. As always, good call Tiemco.

• emuW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the info. Thanks

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Well those new pics you posted look less like Turf Type Tall Fescue, more like a grassy weed. Picture 7 shows a fused tip, and I have no idea what's going on in pic 8. Are they from a different area? In any case, if you want to seed this fall, tall fescue is really the only cool season grass you should consider in the Atlanta area, and summers can be brutal on it without proper irrigation.

• emuW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, ha. I was all excited that I knew the type of my grass & I could start learning about it.... now who knows :) They are from the same area of the lawn. I'm new to the house. If it is fescue the old owners probably overseeded & maybe they used different types of fescue over the years? When they told me they overseeded the fescue, I thought they were talking about the backyard (these pics are from the front.) The backyard grass looks different, much finer. Maybe the backyard is fine fescue & the front is mostly TTTF. The tips are all fused like in pic 7 though. I actually am not sure what a non-fused tip would look like. All the neighbors grass looks like a different type than ours & much better than ours, ha. Maybe they have warm season grass? I guess it is sounding like I should overseed with TTTF. This will be on my list for the weekend after next. I am very new to yardwork/gardening/landscaping, but loving it :) Thanks for your help.

• tiemco
    11 years ago

It's doubtful that the backyard is fine fescue, as that grass is very fine, like hair, and would be brown for most of the summer in GA. It is possible that back has newer improved cultivars of TTTF, while the front has a lot of K-31 tall fescue, which is wide bladed and coarse in texture. In any case, if you are going to overseed with TTTF it would be a great idea to use the NTEP data to pick the cultivars that perform the best in your area. http://www.ntep.org/data/tf06/tf06_12-9/tf06_12-9.pdf