Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_267

What On Earth Is This Thing? Weed?

joe_267
9 years ago

Hi GardenWeb,

I am a newbie gardener that just purchased my first house. I moved from Wisconsin to Connecticut. One side of the house had a lot of brush and what appear to be weeds. I came across these things that look like big hollow shoots of rhubarb or bamboo. I dug them up and bagged them getting as much root out as I could.

Them I came across a massive one. I dug down to the roots, and I've got to say, I have never seen a plant with a root structure like this before (other than a tree). The roots must run at least 15 feet out and are as big as a small tree trunk. I don't thing I ever came across one in Wisconsin.

Attached is a picture of the root ball and you can still see one of the shoots that was growing out of it. Can anyone tell me what this thing is? And should I try digging the entire root out? It looks like it has attached itself, to roots from a nearby Walnut tree, that I don't want to damage.

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to becoming an active member of the community!

Comments (4)

• jaynine
    9 years ago

I'll take a guess and say Burdock.

• joe_267
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! The leaves look like Burdock, but it was getting long stalks of flowers, and not the round burs. I'm doing some searches on plants that look like Burdock. It must be some sort of variety.

• joe_267
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like Burdock it is! Thanks so much for your help jaynine! I have never seen one and had no idea the root structure was so huge. Wow!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

and that is why.. on a lot of weeds... pulling them up.. doesnt work ...

i would slice the top off.. and DRIP drip undiluted roundup on it ...

any piece left in the ground.. most likely ... will come back ...

ken