Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjhatt1215

rose suggestions for south facing walled garden

cjhatt1215
16 years ago

Help for walled south facing garden

I need some suggestions for moving and replacing some roses in this garden area.

Roses presently grown:

Austins: Molineux, Grace,Teasing Georgia, Graham Thomas, Golden Celebration, Pat Austin, Symphony,Francine Austin,The Prince (struggling), Pegasus, William Shakespeare 2000 (newly planted last season), Crown Princess Margareta (newly planted last season) Fair Bianca (would like to pitch) & English Garden (would like to pitch) & cottage rose (going).

OGRÂs: Buff Beauty, Glorie de Dijon, Sombreul, Madame Alfred Carriere, Souvenir du Doctor Jamain (sp?) (struggling maybe going!)

Others: Standard Iceberg, Climbing Autumn Sunset, Red Eden, Eden (one of last remaining pinks), Climbing Iceberg,

Some I am considering: Rose du Rois Fleurs Pourpes, Old Port?, Tradescant

Lady Emma Hamilton

I should mention that I love the purplish reds and would love suggestions for others of similar color that might do well in my climate. I absolutely love the color of Prince but he is struggling (would it help if I moved him where he would get some afternoon shade?) . I really donÂt want any pinks in this area. I love anything egg yolky, to amber to copper. I have grown without too much success, reines de violettes, cardinal de richlieu, tradescant etc., but am willing to try again with better advice about placement.

Thank you!

Cindy

Comments (8)

• purple_petal
    16 years ago

Cindy, As I am also looking for suggestions for a southern wall, may I ask how tall your Cl. Iceberg reaches in zone 9? I'm considering that for mine.
    Maureen

• cjhatt1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Maureen

I have mine planted on a 10'wall, and I keep it trimmed trimmed to that size! I will try to post a pic...I always forget how to do it on this forum. Also just to clarify the whole garden area that I am speaking of is walled. One side is a low 4' fence and the other the taller. Thanks again!!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Give 'The Prince' some time, he was slow to establish in my garden but has become a beauty.

'Prospero' is another dark pink Austin that is well worth growing. It is a short grower and won't take up too much space.

'Sophy's Rose' is a little lighter, but repeat is really excellent. DA always calls it "charming" and it really is.

'Eugene de Beauharnais' reminds me a lot of 'The Prince', if you can get a good copy, he's a little gem as well.

And 'Barcelona'/'Francis Dubreuil' is wonderful too, with a rich fragrance.

'Old Port' has been the slowest growing rose in my garden. It's been very clean with beautiful foliage and has produced a couple of gorgeous flowers, but after 18 months in a prime location it's still only about 2' tall. I just don't know what's up with that one.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Burgundy Iceberg has been a great purplish-red rose for me, lots of bloom, never stops blooming, disease-free for me, a graceful bush.

Abraham Darby has spectacular blooms, great scent, disease-free. I love it.

Have you considered tea roses? Very healthy, a wide range of colors, lots of bloom. Monsieur Tillier, General Gallieni, Souvenir d'un Ami have colors you might like.

I have two bands of Cottage Rose. May I ask why it hasn't been satisfactory for you? I haven't heard much about this rose lately and wonder whether I've made a mistake in ordering it.

Best wishes,

Ingrid

• cjhatt1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you hoovb for your suggestions. I like Eugene de Beauharnaux and have been tempted by Prospero also. May I ask where you have your Prince situated? I have moved mine twice. The last location the deer kept nibbling them so I can't fault the location. They now are directly in front of Gloire de Dijon (climbing on the low fence) in a very sunny location. Do yours crumple in the afternoon sun? Interesting your experience with Old Port one of the posters (hopefully they will post again) raved about it. That is why I love this forum!
    Ingrid
    I have only grown one tea (climbing lady hillingdon) and it never got beyond twig size so I have been afraid. Thank you for your suggestions. I will do a little more research. In regards to Cottage Rose. Cottage Rose has been very healthy and disease resistant (although very thorny). It is the only pink I have left in the back. I am removing it because I am not partial to pink and my house has been color coated (a different color). I also planted it many years ago (one of my first Austin's). I purchased it pre-Clair Martins book (before we knew what monsters some of them could become). I think it would be lovely in a larger area!

• nastarana
    16 years ago

I have The Prince in location with eastern exposure and afternoon sun, and he has done very well, even blooming in July in three digit heat, when other roses have quite sensibly stopped blooming. So, yes, I think you would do well to try a location with afternoon shade. Even after 20+ years, The Prince remains one of Austen's best.

If you must pitch Fair Bianca and English Garden, maybe you can give them away. Both have their admirers, and EG is getting hard to find.

• cjhatt1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nastarana
    Great I am going to move The Prince! My original rose garden was on the opposite side of my house. Both English Garden & Fair Bianca were lovely there. Unfortunately the deer took them over. I had to resort to a simple garden of lavender & lemon trees. They have never done well since I moved them. I don't know if the deer weakened them & they didn't have a chance or if they just don't like it back there. I love both of them but they are just spindly & weak...any other sage advice?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Thanks for your reply Cindy. I didn't realize that Cottage Rose gets so big or I would have ordered a different rose. Oh well, I'll just have to find a different location if it becomes a problem. I think with a lot of roses I've made the mistake of planting them too close together because they look so tiny as bands. I also want to have lots of different varieties and get greedy. It's all a learning process.

Good luck with your project!

Ingrid