Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koijoyii

Paging C3D

koijoyii
13 years ago

Hi Chicka:

Wondering if you know anyone in our area that treats koi. My ogon butterfly is egg bound. I have lots of fry in the pond, but didn't see her for a few days. Thought she may be just resting after the males chased her continually for almost a week. I was also afraid the heron might have got her because my water is so green. (It made several circles of my pond the other night) She came up this morning to eat and appears to be egg bound. Her scales aren't sticking up so I don't think it's dropsy, but she is huge on the left side. She is still eating but doesn't appear to be herself. She can't swim straight with her side all swollen. The nearest koi vet I can find is in Lewis Center, OH right on the outskirts of Columbus.

I called several local veterinarians with no luck, I am in the process of calling pet stores now to see if they can recommend anyone.

Please e-mail me if you know anyone closer. Thanks in advance.

Jenny

Comments (6)

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Hi Jenny,
    Do you think you might get her attention more if you post this in Conversations?
    Good luck with your koi.

• nosambos
    13 years ago

Jenny I would call Robert Wendt on West 117th street. This practice services the zoo. Lisa

• koijoyii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for your help. I did post in conversations and C3D gave me several contacts.

Hi Lisa:

I tried Roberts and Wendt (used to be my dog's vet before I was dogless) and they told me they don't treat fish.

The good news is this morning she wasn't laying at the bottom of the waterfall. I didn't see her because my water is still green (I'm being very patient), but there was foam everywhere. I went to Marc's last night and bought a mophead to float to help her out. I think it may have worked because there is more foam than surface. The bad news is I'm going to have more fry. I already have about 200 fry I'm going to have to find homes for or cull. My plan is to take the mophead and place it in hot water to dispose of the eggs. I never thought I would have a "koi explosion". There is a nursery in my neighborhood that just started selling koi and pond plants. Maybe they can take a few off my hands. I was able to trade all my extra water lilies to a local nursery in exchange for perennials and shrubs. My yard looks great.

Anyone in the Cleveland area need some koi? They are growing like weeds. Some are about 1-2 inches long already. The momma is platinum ogon butterfly, can't tell you who momma's baby's daddy is. Here is the link to some pics I was able to post earlier. If you or anyone you know is interested please send me an e-mail.

Jenny

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi fry

• chickadeedeedee
    13 years ago

Happy to hear Mrs. Ogon laid her eggs! :-))) Mike's VERY favourite koi was a platinum ogon ... he was breakfast for a blue heron a few years ago. :*(

Would LOVE to have another!

• geaugaponder
    13 years ago

Hi, I have a fairly large pond in Geauga County just east of Cleveland. I would be interested in some koi fry.

Jeff

• koijoyii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jeff:

You are welcome to have all you want. It seems like there are new ones born every day. You can send me an e-mail through my member page here on the forum (just click on my screen name) and it should prompt you to send me an e-mail. We can make arrangements from there.

Jenny