Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

which should I use?

For reference, this is what I plan to grow as seedling transplants:

tomatoes (romas, cherry, tomatillo, slicers)

cabbage

broccoli

bell pepper

cabbage

eggplant

celery (I don't know about this yet)

This is what I mean by a hobby green house:

http://www.burpee.com/seed-starting/burpee-ultimate-growing-system-prod001254.html

With the link you'll have to manually copy and paste it into your web browser then click send. I don't know how to

get it to just have it as a link you can click on the post and it'll just load the site from the post.

I'm reluctant to use peat pots/pellets because based on skimming thru various threads about them, they're 'plant/seedling killers' because they obstruct their root systems. Also they tend to have a hard time with moisture control.

I'd prefer to use the hobby greenhouse even if it's the more expensive method, because if it's more reliable then I'll go with it. I don't want to have to grow twice as many seedling transplants as I actually need because half are going to die. I don't have that kind of space with growing them indoors.

My main questions about the hobby greenhouse are:

*Would I be able to maximize my space using it. Basically the one that I would use has 72 cells. Would I be able to grow 72 seedlings under a 4 foot grow light? Please don't assume I'm referring to a 2 foot grow light. I'm not! People keep assuming I'm using a 2 foot grow light when the one I'm using is actually twice that length (4 feet).

*Would I using hobby greenhouse, be able to grow seedlings until they're big enough as plants and have sturdy enough root systems that I'd be able to grow them indoors as transplants without having to repot them while they're still seedlings being grown indoors as transplants?

Repotting would take up more space, since they're be in bigger containers, and the plants would be bigger. I don't have this kind of space. As stated before I have a very limited amount of space for growing seedling transplants indoors.

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I looked at your link and the 72 hole container looks to be about the size of jumbo cell packs which are large enough to be transplanted directly in the ground, at least for the plants you are intending to grow. You should plant more than one seed per cell to be sure you have no vacant cells, then clip off the weaker seedlings. The amount of light from a two foot bulb is the same as from a four footer just covers half the area. You will need the entire planting covered with lights no farther than 2 inches from the seedlings, at least upon germination. Al

• californian
    13 years ago

Everyone says clip off the weaker seedling. My situation is I almost never have a weaker seedling when two seedlings come up together, they both usually look the same. So you have to play God and kill a perfectly good seedling. Some seed is expensive, especially some hybrid seeds that can cost over 30 cents a seed. Why not just plant one seed per a cell and if it doesn't come up plant another one. All you would lose is about a week of growing time.

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Um okay just to get clarification, you're saying I could start from seed and grow till they're big enough the be transplanted and it wouldn't hurt the root system of the plant? Basically I wouldn't have to repot while they're still being grown indoors as seedlings (to bigger containers)

Also I'm using the 48" grow light not because of the brightness of the light is given off, but because it's bigger, and I'd be able to maximize my growing space.

The dimensions of it are 22" x 11" so would I be able to get two under a 48" grow light? This is for future reference.

I'm referring to using the hobby greenhouse thing I suggested, the one I gave the link for.

My question about it is, is it durable enough that it can be reused for a good period of time? I really don't want to have to keep replacing it year after year after year.