Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karla316_gw

New At This - Help With Planting Plants In My Pond

karla316
15 years ago

Hello Everyone! I just recently put in a small pond, which is my very first one! I have a feeling there are going to be more in the future because this is more satisfying than I even thought it would be!

I'm a little confused most of the time as to how to go about planting things and with all the postings I've read on here, I knew this would be the place to come for advice!

I purchased the following plants and although they came with instructions, they were pretty "generic", so I'm hoping to get some details:

Pickerel Rush

Water Hyacinth

Water Lily

Primrose Creeper

Water Lettuce

Also, I'm in Zone 5 (Missouri) and am wondering how these plants are going to do over winter or if I will have to buy new ones next year??

Thank you SO much in advance for your help! I appreciate it more than you know! Have a great day!

Karla

Comments (3)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Water lettuce and water hyacinths are floated on the water's surface. They will not survive winter. Remove them before frost as they turn to mush that is hard to clean out when they freeze.

do you know if the waterlily is hardy or tropical? A hardy would survive, a tropical won't. Either should be potted in garden soil, in a shallow wide container. Dish pans or oil pans are great. For hardies, put the cut end of the rhizome close to the edge with the growth point pointed towards the most soil surface. Tropicals can go in the middle. Don't bury the rhizome. Gravel on top will keep the soil from messing up your pond.

Primrose Creeper isn't listed as hardy in your zone.

I believe Pickeral is hardy but can't be allowed to freeze solid.

• nkm56
    15 years ago

Pickerel - an excellent choice for the pond. Loads of flowers in the summer, and is much loved by bees and butterflies. It is hardy and will survive the winter if the roots don't freeze. If you have hard winters, after it dies back in the fall you can sink the pot down to the deeper water and retrieve it in the spring. Keep an eye on it, though -- it will jump the pot. Is a very forgiving plant. Can be divided when it gets too big, and give the extras to friends or to a water garden society.

Water lettuce does not like full sun, so you might want to place it where it will get some shade or dappled sun. Multiplies very rapidly, so when the older ones start looking ratty, toss them out. There will be plenty of new ones to fill in the space!

Water hyacinth likes sun, and reproduces as fast as lettuce. Koi love the roots. I keep my hyacinth in the stream, where it's safer, but sometimes I'll allow one to float down to the pond. The fish are on it in just seconds.

Lilies. Can't really add anything else about those except that the tropicals are usually treated as an annual. Some people can over winter them inside the house. I tried last year, but a power outtage rendered my efforts useless.

I've never tried primrose creeper. I'd be interested to know what you think of that one.

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Karla,

I don't have any additional advice but do want to welcome you to ponding and to the forum. It is my favorite place on the web and there are some wonderfully talented ponders here.

Yeah, if you have the room, you will end up with a bigger pond. Trust me on this!!

And Post pictures in the Gallery. We love pictues!
    Anne