Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Colocasia esculenta fontanesii

newgen
13 years ago

Hi,

I just picked up one of these, it even has the yellow flower! I'm planning on putting it in my pond. I'd appreciate it if you guys can help me with the following questions:

[1] It's currently in a 5-gallon plastic pot. The seller told me to just put it in the pond, don't worry about the soil leaking out. I'm very concerned about the soil messing up the balance of the pond water. I looked around town at 3 different places for "aquatic" soil. None had it. One store personnel told me that aquatic soil is overrated, they're mostly gravels anyways. They said that I can use pea gravels instead, and just add some aquatic plant fertilizer to the pond. Does that sound OK?

[2] I also looked for a mesh basket, since the pot the plant came in is just the run-of-the-mill black plastic. Isn't it much better to use a mesh pot, since the roots can stick out better? There's nothing like that availabe at the stores I went to, so I'm planning on drilling a bunch of holes into the original pot, figure that's just as good, what do you think?

[3] How deep should I place this plant in the pond?

Thanks!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting