Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Crepuscule how I love you!

oath5
15 years ago

It made it, by god the lanky caned thing made it through the winter. Amazing that it did fine while a ten, fifteen year old rhododendron was hit HARD by winterkill, lotta drooping foliage, I think I have to cut out at least 50% of the branches. Amazing how things respond to weather.

Quick question? I'm trying to build up my Crepusucle to be a big old standing shrub since it's beside a deck and not really near anything it could climb...I mean I could put an obelisk but that might look weird. It currently carries most of it's "heft" in a single long octopus cane. Can I peg that? Or should I just let it be?

Thanks guys, hope spring is waking up where you are!

Max

Comments (15)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    15 years ago

Crepuscule is one of my joys. Havent tried it as a shrub [sounds like a good reason to buy another!] I have a gorgeous one up next to a board fence. I have let it get tall and fountain out, making it a standard with two large canes, keepng them trimmed up to where it starts to fountain out. No blooms yet, too early, but I trimmed it up and it should be just fabulous. Dont see why you couldnt do the same thing as a shrub. Maybe sink a post in the ground about 3', tie the main cane onto that then let it fountain and keep it trimmed to the shape you want. Like my beautiful wisteria that forms a fountain effect. I just gave myself another idea........This is a fabulous rose!
    Judith

• carla17
    15 years ago

Max, I'm not sure what your final plans are, but left alone Crepuscule can take over half a deck. See pics. It is a great rose!
    It's that large on the other side of deck too.
    {{gwi:234830}}
    Took over the steps
    {{gwi:234018}}
    Enjoy your Crepuscule!
    Carla

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I did grow Crepuscule as a shrub one time, albeit a low, spreading one, due to space considerations. It bloomed a lot and it was just a matter of trimming it back constantly, but then my space was very confined. It really is a very shrubby climber, and mine never had long, lanky cames, perhaps because I pruned it as a shrub from the outset.

Ingrid

• Tammy Owens
    15 years ago

Carla it was your pics that enabled me to get Crepuscule. Sadly I lost the own root one I got last spring because I broke my ankle before I got the chance to over winter it. However, I will have get another one after reading this and seeing your pics again.

Tammy

• organic_tosca
    15 years ago

Carla, where is your Crepuscule growing from? Is it in the ground on the other side of the deck railing? Or can all that growth possibly be coming from a pot on the deck?!? Gorgeous, wherever it's coming from.

• rosyone
    15 years ago

I constructed a low bamboo corral around the crown of this Crepuscule at the end of its 1st season in the ground, less than 2' high and not much wider. Just something to direct its young basals upward. If I had it to do over the support would be at least a yard tall, or maybe 4'. The plant is 2 years older than when this photo was taken, and still gorgeous, but the danged thing is more than 25' wide. I can't bring myself to cut it back.
    {{gwi:234834}}

• carla17
    15 years ago

Organic, here is the origin of Crepuscule. It goes up and over and back down the steps. It even bent it's canes to ramble through everything.
    {{gwi:234836}}
    Tammy, I am sorry you lost the first one and you do need it again, it's wonderful.

• greybird
    15 years ago

I must not be doing something right. My Crepuscle has been in the ground a couple years, it is still only about 2 feet tall, really poor looking. I hear so many wonderful things about this rose, is it just a slow starter?

• carla17
    15 years ago

greybird, could you have a bad clone? I have never seen a rose grow so vigorously, seriously it took off like a race horse. I think it's only 4 yrs. old.
    I don't know what else to tell you about yours, sorry.
    Maybe try one from Vintage?

Carla

• greybird
    15 years ago

It is from Vintage. A very nice looking plant upon receipt, but since just looks sulky and sits there. I have heard it was a very slow starter and not to move it. This is my second attempt at this plant, the first one did not make it through the winter. Maybe my climate does not agree with it. We have really crazy temp swings. Celine Forestier doesn't like it here either. :(

• organic_tosca
    15 years ago

Thanks, Carla. That's one of the most glorious things I've ever seen!
    Laura

• patricianat
    15 years ago

What a beauty your Crepuscules are. That is another I kept of my roses. Alas, I lost one last year for some reason which I am not sure of, to this day, why, but I am happy to still be the proud mother of 3 very large ones.

• huttnem
    15 years ago

Greybeard, I got mine from Vintage too and it was extremely slow for 4 years -then it came unto its own and I'm crazy about it.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Greybird,

You may have just gotten a dud. Order it again. I would be cautious in saying that a particular rose doesn't like it in your area when

1. It's never really taken off to begin with
    2. You've tried it only once.

Robert

• huttnem
    15 years ago

How cold does it get where you live that Crepuscule didn't make it? One unseasonably cold winter here (in the teens for weeks) I covered the arbor til it warmed up. Since that time she has survived winters in the 20s with no protection. My Crepuscule was extremely wimpy year 2 and only grew up one side of an arbor by year 4. if yours looks sickly that is one thing - if it is healthy but just slow, that is another. It took 5 years for my plant to become the magnificent rose Crepuscule is.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida