Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnflowerlover

Two more mystery seedlings

Whoops...I already posted this, and it is VA Creeper.

This post was edited by carolinaflowerlover on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 21:36

Comments (14)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second one:

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

First one looks like Virginia creeper. Second might be an ornamental cherry.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

No 2 appears to me to have pinnate leaves so not a Prunus.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

second looks elm-ish ... ken

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see what you mean about the elmish look. Cherry would not surprise me, as we do have them in the neighborhood. Either way, I do not need anymore trees...so it gets yanked. Thanks!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

But neither elm nor cherry has pinnate leaves...... so, unless I am mis-seeing neither is possible.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I can see the pinnate leaves also, floral (though not till your first post).

9 years ago

you all know i am not qualified to argue with the botanists ...

but compare at link to Siberian elm ...

perhaps a better pic will answer pinnate or not ...

regardless ... i am not highly impressed by any tree.. that self sows itself into my garden ... for two reasons ...

first.. if there is one.. you will probably find dozens more ..

second.. if you encourage it... in the decades to come.. you find hundreds if not thousands more ... hence my intimate knowledge of S Elms .. if only i could win the lotto and have all the neighbors trees removed ...

if they say its not an elm.. who am i to argue... but a better pic or two might help ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Ken - you don't have to be a botanist to spot a pinnate leaf, nor to know elm isn't pinnate. It's just a question of looking at the picture as carefully as possible.

Certainly more/better pictures would help a lot. And another thing - what are the nuts in the picture? (Not the acorn). Or are they bits of corn cob? And how is that Pelargonium going to fare under the trees in leaf litter? Are the shiny little spheres slow release fertiliser or snail eggs? So many questions....

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

castanea? but that would be unusual

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Reminds me of sumac.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The Castaneas aren't pinnate. Sumacs are.

9 years ago

flora... i just cant see it.. on this pic ... either my eyes are too old... or the pic is taken from to far away ...

if its pinnate.. so be it.. i just cant see it ..

ken

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow....lots of responses. Thanks, everyone! Whatever it is, it sounds like a tree seedling. This is not a spot for trees, so I am going to yank it. Thanks for helping me decide that. :?

Far as the annual "geranium"....it was an attempt from seed back in the spring that, obviously, did not grow well. :( I doubt it will survive this winter. I may put it inside my neighbor's covered porch.

Far as the other "nuts"....that is a good question. We have a LOT of trees in our neighborhood. There are black walnuts and a willow oak in my hard/direct neighbor's yards. There are cherry trees nearby, as well as pecan trees.....I know because I get seedlings every year. I have no idea what those are. I just pull out what I can...and then pull seedlings for much of the growing season. I used to hate it, but I get used to it. Lol

Thanks for the help! Just knowing it is not a flower helps a lot. :)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio