Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babcia_gw

Unusual horizontal Dogwwod

babcia
9 years ago

Someone gave me this tree a few years ago. It was labeled "Dogwood". Now that it's been in he ground for several years, it seems to grow horizontally, not vertically.

It is somewhat shrubby, but the main core of the plants sends shoots out horizontal to the ground.

I'd like to keep the plant because it was given to me by a friend, but it grows so strangely. The shape is so bizarre, I'm planning to shovel prune it shortly.

If it has some merit, I'll keep it, but it's not looking good.

Thank you.

Comments (9)

• eaga
    9 years ago

Compare it with Cornus canadensis, which is a low growing, spreading dogwood.

Disclosure: I'm going by your description - I don't know what it is from the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornus canadensis

• babcia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help, but this is definitely a small tree/shrub. I can see where my description would be deceiving. Sorry that the photo wasn't better. It was very difficult to get a good shot.

I've tried for several years to figure out what it is, but I have been unsuccessful.

I'm even wondering if the leader died off and the shoots growing horizontally are just the plant's adjustment to the loss.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Shrubby dogwood species, many dogwoods often grow at least partly in a layered or tiered fashion.

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

The colored stems make me think it is a 'colored bark' variety of Dogwood, that does not have the flowers Cornus florida or Kousa exhibit. The red stems resemble 'Arctic Fire'.
    Several clones that are weeping forms of Cornus florida exist and are offered as rare plants. I believe one example is 'Weaver's Weeping'.
    To my knowledge, they are rather poor bloomers, compared to the most common forms, but I am unsure.
    If yours grows enough to bloom, and blooms pink colored, or blooms very well, it may be a keeper, that a business nursery would want to patent, or purchase from you.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Maybe this? Depending on how it was pruned/trained. I know mine grows much more horizontally than vertically. It is not one of the red twigs that grows like a cluster of vertical branches, nor is it bright red, but looks more like the color of the OP plant.

{{gwi:358718}}

Here is a link that might be useful: red twig?

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

I'd just let it develop and see what you get later, it does not look abnormal to me.

• babcia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olychick, I think you solved my problem. That link could be my plant. When I was outside today, doing some clean up, I went to trim some branches and, as in that link, they were rooted.

I love this group. You are all so knowledgeable.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Oh good! You can read online about pruning red twig dogwoods to promote a more vibrant bark color (on new growth) for winter interest. I don't prune mine often and so I get blossoms on it eventually, then prune it heavily to get it back in shape, get better color, but no blossoms for a few years.

I liked this article:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning red twig dogwood

• babcia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. This link made me re-think removing this plant. It may become a favorite instead.