Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Variegated boxwood elegantissima

miclino
12 years ago

Saw this plant at Lowes and loved the color. However, they went on sale and were cleared out before I could even blink.

Tag says zone 6, I would say I'm in zone 5b and in a protected location this would do well. Have a small semicircular bed that this would make a nice small hedge for. Does anyone have experience with this plant?

Comments (2)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

True item has a dwarfish tight habit with twisting etc. of many leaves. I seldom see it offered here. I think name is often misapplied to another form with larger, more normal growth and mostly normal (flattish) leaves. This is common, sold under other names as well. I have never determined which is correct, multiple variegated forms have been named and described.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I have a variegated form that was labeled elegantissima, but doesn't have twisted leaves. It is placed in a quite sheltered position where it doesn't get winter sun and is covered with snow for most of the winter. Branches that stick out of the snow bank do get a bit of winter burn. It has survived for about 6 years now, but it hasn't grown a huge amount.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations