Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rboone7760

Husqvarna hedge trimmer fuel line

rboone7760
9 years ago

Last September I purchased a Husqvarna model 122HD hedge trimmer. I used last fall and it worked great. For winter I draines the fuel and ran out any remaining fuel. Last week I refuled and prepared to trim some hedges. The trimmer acted odd so I looked at the fuel line inside the tank and it had fallen off, actually melted. It is still under warrenty. In the past year I have purchased three other Husqvarna lawn tools, Is there any reason that I should not expect defective fuel lines in these units?
I do not understand why does any manufacturer use defective components in their products. I thought that Husqvarna made quality products but I guess not. I am now sorry that I purchased four Huaqvarna products last year.

Comments (2)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

I feel quality is balanced with cost in most cases. I had a friend that wanted to drive across town for some 1.00 a ft line vs paying over 2.00 a ft at a Dealer a few blocks away. I have gone for the dealerâÂÂs quality due to wanting jobs behind me. I have stretched some new line stronger than I would have visualized it to be and needed the quality installing.

Stored dry and bad in one year sounds like a bad quality of line IMO, correct or not? I store all with fuel treated with StaBil and no problems in years on any I have replaced.

If the in tank is bad, stretch test the other for strength and air tight fits. I hope the return/repair/adjustment goes well.

I have experienced some bad electrical insulation on quality cars/boats that went to different supplier during years of financial problems (that cost their customers later).

• hippy
    9 years ago

You drained all of the fuel out of the tank and lines. That is just asking for your fuel lines to deteriorate as fast as possible. Silicone based fuel lines do not like to be "hung out to dry" so to speak.

Most likely the rubber diaphragm in the carb is shot also.

I have 5 Husqvarna trimmers that are between 5 and 12 years old that I have to replace the first fuel line on any of them.

One thing I do not do. Use Husqvarna two cycle oil. Someone will have to do some serious convincing before they can ever get me to believe that there is even a drop of lubricant in the stuff. Stihl High Performance (orange bottle) is the only two cycle oil I will use.

One thing that I do. Never store gas powered equipment all winter without starting it. Couple times a month during the off season. Get them out and run them for 15 or 20 minutes. Does two things. Keeps the internal parts well lubed. Keeps fresh fuel in the system.

Do the same for the mowers. Drive the riders around the yard or driveway, Engage the blades, turn on the lights. Then when mowing season comes around. Your mower/s and equipment will be ready to go to work while everyone else is rounding up parts and cleaning carbs and all just trying to get the engines started.