Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Botanical prints of Old Roses?

luxrosa
14 years ago

I'm re-decorating.

I've been searching on Google.com for botanical prints, that are not patented, so I could have them printed on linen paper at the copyshop. However nearly all those I've found are modern drawings by modern artists that lack the quality I've seen in older botanical drawings and woodcuts.

I'd like to find botanical rose drawing prints from 1900 or earlier and woodcuts.

I did find pretty tiles, whilst I was searching, one of an Austrian Briar and another of a red Old Rose on tilepix.com I think my kitchen would appear very cheerful with a border of tiles of the Austrian Briar.

Lux.

Comments (6)

• kaylah
    14 years ago

If you go to Dover books, they have every sort of art in books with a CD in the back. I have a bunch, including Redoute's roses. The one they are selling now has a mixture of roses, flowers, and fruits.
    You can find botanical prints, you name it. They also sell some of these at Barnes and Nobles.

Here is a link that might be useful: dover

• york_rose
    14 years ago

luxrosa, if I were you I would go to Wikimedia Commons, and use the word "Rosa" as your search term.

Everything posted on Wikimedia Commons is either in the public domain or under a conditional use license (where the typical restrictions state that you may use the image file in a non-profit making manner, and where you may have to give attribution for the image).

The material you're looking for are antique rose illustrations. I can't believe there won't be at least a few such files for you to use at Wikimedia Commons because those sorts of images are exactly what's in the public domain. I regularly use their images in my work as covers for reports that I write each month.

{{gwi:254635}}

• harborrose_pnw
    14 years ago

Would this link be of use?

Here is a link that might be useful: Redoute engravings

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion, I tried wikpedia seven times on their commons page and received "no results"
    from "botanical prints of roses"
    "botanical prints Genus Rosa"
    "prints of rosebushes"
    etc.
    one answer asked me "do you mean botanical plants?"
    Lux.

• rosecats
    14 years ago

Some time ago I did a google image search for wikipedia commons "botanical prints" & found a number that I liked. Doing an image search facilitates the whole process - you instantly see a thumbnail of the print. I also did an image search for rose "botanical prints" to look in other sources. You might try searching images for Graham Stuart Thomas; he did some lovely artwork of roses (if you haven't already). Then, of course, once you get to a good website, you can troll it for ages. This was one of my favorite time-wasters! Actually, it wasn't a time-waster, since I found a lot of lovely pictures.

BTW, 1 or 2 of the rose websites I found had links to botantial prints. If I ever figure out which ones had the links, I'll post it.

Please tell us how the pictures come out!

Oh, there's one caveat: some or many of the images will be small, even after you click on the option for the larger image, and enlarging the image reduces the quality. If you find a workaround for this, I'd LOVE to know.

• vettin
    14 years ago

Check out botanicus.org specifically curtis's botanical magazine -1905 has hugonis. Their is a Curtis index which will help locate others. I am looking to, please post resources you find. Thank you.