Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tombob_gw

Tires on a ZT

tombob
11 years ago

I have a new Ferris zero turn and have gotten it stuck once when the left tire rolled onto a muddy area (pulled it out with the 4-wheeler), and have had problems with the tires spinning when backing up on a slight incline. The problem is the turf tires.

i was wondering if any of you have tried ag type tires on your ZT? And yes, I know the lawn would be scarred more easily by aggressive turns.

Comments (5)

• rcbe
    11 years ago

just curious - are you running recommended tire PSI's ? Higher pressures could contribute to the problems you noted...and mfgrs often overinflate new machines for shipping purposes.
    I ran a 2560 ztr for several yrs cutting around 6 acres - had turf tires - varying topography (hills, ditches, etc.) - don't ever remember having a traction problem.

• tom_nwnj
    11 years ago

If you have wet stuff, the machine will sink in,

My ZTR sinks in down by the creek a couple times a year. I either pull it out with my old farm tractor, or sometimes use a come-along chained to a large ash tree.

I think that if a good option for ztrs was lugged tires, the manufacturers would sell some that way.

• larso1
    11 years ago

"I think that if a good option for ztrs was lugged tires, the manufacturers would sell some that way."

Some do, especially the ztr's with the front mount decks. I see more Grasshopper front mounts with chevron lugged tires on the drive wheels than without. See link for a typical setup..

Here is a link that might be useful: Grasshopper ZTR

• tombob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The turf tires are at the PSI recommended in the manual.

I may check into the lugged tires. My "lawn" sure doesn't look like a golf course so if I scrape a spot because of the more aggressive tires it's no big deal.

The reason I bought the Ferris was because of the suspension. Due to deteriorating back, using my JD lawn tractor unbearable.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    11 years ago

You might investigate using an "ATV" type of tire. There's a wide variety of tread choices, more aggressive than turf tires, but not as aggressive as an ag tire. Do a search here or elsewhere, have seen several posts on the subject. You may find a better price on the ATV's as there are so many of them compared to the Ag tires.

Good luck,

Ev

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting