Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busybee_ct

groundhogs!!

busybee_ct
15 years ago

They are chewing up my echinaceas and other plants. Any suggestions, other than trapping? Anyone use Double Bubble bubble gum to get rid of them?? How about ammonia on rags?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments (11)

• paminpa
    15 years ago

Well I tried the bubble gum method -- nothing. Actually they have their holes at my neighbors house, under her in ground pool. So she just recently bought 2 traps and so far she's caught 2 of the 6! If there are any other suggestions I'd be interested in hearing them also.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

We have groundhogs living in their "summer home" under our deck. I found this out, when I realized they had dug up all of the strawberry plants I had planted around the deck and used those areas as entryways under the deck. My husband has his shot gun ready. Mind you, we don't have neighbors in back of us or on the left side of our house. It's woods and fields.

• sjmarq
    15 years ago

Destructive beasts. I think you are fooling yourself if you think anything but trapping or shooting will get you the results you want.

Now, if only the chipmunks were as easy to catch...

• oldroser
    15 years ago

I used to use sulfur 'bombs.' Don't know if they are still available. The idea is to block all their tunnel exits but one and then light the so-called bomb, put it in the tunnel and close that exit too. I never managed to find all the exits but they moved out anyway. The fuse never seemed to work for me so I used a birthday candle. Happy birthday woodchuck!

• kvalentz
    15 years ago

I have a foolproof method for getting rid of chipmonks if you are interested. I usually have to get rid of a dozen every year since my cats are indoors only.
    Kathy

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

Trapping is the only solution that really works. That or a pack of Jack Russell terriers!
    Joann

• sjmarq
    15 years ago

Sorry for the hijack but - Please Kathy - do share your chipmunk secret!

• alicate
    15 years ago

Yes, please post it here! (Pretty please:) )

• nancyd
    15 years ago

I just watched a TV gardening show on groundhogs. The only realistic solution was trapping. Odds are you've only got one because they are territorial. Once they set up house they don't want to leave and they can destroy a garden in no time. If you're squeamish you can hire a humane trapper to do it for you.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

If this is how I get to "beat the odds" it's not saying much!

I thought we had only one groundhog and he was our little "Puffalump" just meandering along the back of the yard at the tree line munching on some invasive weeds.

Then one day I was sitting in the garage doing some work. Right in front of me THREE of them were sauntering down the driveway on their way to work.

One keeps trying to run into the garage as I have the door open all day while I'm outside working. Lady next door has to keep her garage closed all the time because they're always in there.

Since I was putting in all these garden beds this year for the first time I thought it would be a "good thing" to pull all the invasive flowering weeds that blanket the margins on wooded side and back of yard at tree line. When I wanted to pull them all last year my father said they were "harmless" but they came back with a vengeance this year and I didn't want them spreading into gardens and further into lawn so I spent 5 hours pulling them by the roots. Well, those weeds are what the groundhogs used to eat and now their only better choice will be my new gardens.

I wasted $20. on Critter Ridder (ever the sucker for an easy fix) which is some granular stuff you put around plants and perimeter of garden. The chipmunks walk right over the stuff even when I put a lot of it around the holes I see them running back and forth to gathering loads of cracked corn on the ground for the birds. They were the culprit last year for eating all the neighbor's strawberry plants.

I was considering the "bubble gum" treatment but was being harangued as an inhumane animal killer. At least I know not to try it now since it didn't work when someone else tried it...LOL.

• busybee_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all your insights!!

I tried Critter Ridder and that hasn't worked. The tunnels are not on our property, so I can't bomb them. I may try trapping, but would this still work if they have so much to eat from my garden and I can't place it near the tunnel entrance?

I hope you're right, Nancy, and I have only one. Don't know if I could handle a whole bunch.

And Kathy, please, your chipmunk secret!!!