Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkneis

John Deere X300 Series Dilemna

wkneis
14 years ago

My Scotts 2046 (made by JD) is on its last legs - the K51 Tuff Torq transmission is fried, and despite my modest repair attempts, I don't think it's prudent to invest in a full re-build of the trans. That said, it's time to decide on a new tractor, and since there are no local Cub Cadet service centers (Morris County, NJ), I'm pretty much narrowed down to the X300 series - and I'm hoping that those with more experience can help me sort through the options to select the best model for my needs.

My yard (1.75 acres) is a combination of relatively flat area with several hills. My Scotts 2046 regularly scalped the hills and cut lines in the inclines. There are lots of evergreen trees (those blue spruces do a number on both me and on the tractor)that drop pine cones and short needles everywhere, and I do use the tractor to pick up leaves, which I bag and put into compost bins. I'd love to be able to mulch, but I've never had any luck. The grass grows too fast, and I've always ended up with clumps, so I've typcally had to bag the grass and take whatever I can't compost (which is most of it) to the town recycling center. I have a PowerFlow bagger unit on my Scotts, which does a decent job of picking up grass and leaves, but it really sticks out far and takes a beating from all the trees. I've had to patch the entire housing with sheet metal to keep it sealed.

I borrowed my neighbor's JD LA110 (42" deck)to cut this weekend, and while it cuts well, I had to constantly stop the tractor to clean out the lower (non-powered)chute. I'd immediately regret buying a tractor like that that wouldn't pick up properly. Given my past experiences, what's important to me, in no particular order, are:

1. Quality of cut - I'd consider a smaller, 2-blade deck (42")to improve the quality (which, along w cost, rules out the X500 series)

2. Mulching capability / convenience - It would be great to not have to change blades (which you need to on the 304)

3. Ease of service / removing deck

4. Quality / Durability of Transmission - I could step up to the X320/324 for a K62 transmission. I do occasionally pull a dethatcher or plug aerator, so decent torque and adequate HP is important.

5. Agility - Is not getting the 4-wheel steering something I'd really regret after-the-fact? Going with a smaller 42" deck, even if I go with the X324 (which is admittedly starting to really stretch my budget), I'd still be leaving a decent size uncut patch

6. CAPABLE bagging system, that won't readily clog. I'm intrigued by the 300R, which I know is more popular in Europe. While I'd give up some things (like 4w steering), I like the idea of no side projection. It sounds like a nice system, BUT it's set up to DUMP grass, not to allow me to unload the hopper bags, which is actually more convenient for me. I could always consider adding something like a Cyclone Rake to bag (which would be great for pine needles and cones), but then I'm back to a large side projection, and the thought of dragging a trailer behind me with lots of low-hanging branches, and possibly navigating it with 4w steering doesn't thrill me.

So there you have it....Apparently, I want it all, but can't seem to find it in a single model. I'd greatly appreciate ANY insights, particularly from those of you who have some experience with the various X300 models.

Comments (13)

• doopstr
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A lot of those items on your list looks likes you should take a look at a Simplicity Regent. It has a great quality of cut, easy deck removal, great turning radius without 4-wheel steering, and I believe you can get a power bagger attachment.

• larso1
    14 years ago

The 300R is a real nice unit...my FIL has one and I've cut his grass with it before. Nice to trim on both sides, leaves a real nice cut, and as you say no side projections to get hit. As for loading the cut grass, you can just dump it on a big tarp, fold the corners to the center, and lift the whole thing onto the truck...it's very doable.

One problem that may exist with your wish list is you want to pull attachments. Not sure how that would work out with that rear clamshell back there. Maybe someone could shed some light on that.

• wkneis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to look at the Simplicity, as suggested by doopstr. Larsol - I've heard similar concerns about the 300R relative to pulling attachments. Also, from a couple people who own them, while there seems to be high satisfaction regarding the edging and bagging capabilities, there also seem to be some concerns about longevity / servicability, as the rear end is sealed. I also understand that the drive belt loop is a lot more convoluted than the other 300 series models.

• sergeant
    14 years ago

You take off the Bagger Clamsell and there is a Tow Hook. You can also get a discharge Chute for the Back as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: X300R Spec's

• metal
    14 years ago

A larger deck will make it easier to mow around the trees (deck sticks out more), but may increase the chances of scalping in some areas due to your lawns layout.

• varmint_304
    14 years ago

Sounds like you want a lawn sweeper. A 42" Craftsman Lawn Sweeper isnt any wider than the tractor youÂd be using to tow it. It should stick out significantly less than a powerflow unit. The sweeper holds something like 20 cu.ft. of material, which is at least twice as much as any hopper that fits on a 300 series tractor. You can dump it from the seat of the tractor with a pull cord. The sweeper doesnÂt stand as tall as a cyclone rake (or even a bagger system) so I doubt youÂll have trouble with branches.

I ride a 2007 model X304, which has the K58 transaxle. This is more heat-resistant than the K46 used in the 300, 300R, and the newer 304. This unit is still used in the 320, 324, and 340. Since youÂve got hills, and they sound moderately steep, IÂd suggest the X320.

For what itÂs worth, I use a sweeper, an aerator, a dump cart, and a Johnny bucket with my X304. So far (crossing my fingers) my trac has held up well.

• wkneis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I think I've worked my way up to the 324, if I'm going to stick within the x300 series. Although, at that price, I've now got to think about whether I should just drop the extra dollars to get into the low end of the 500 series, to at least buy myself some flexibility in case I want to do some heavier work with the tractor in the future. I've found that my bagging options with the JDs are very limited. It essentially comes down to this:
    42" and smaller - regular bagger - no Power Flow unit available
    48" and larger - ONLY Power Flow bagger available.
    As mentioned, I don't love the Power Flow bagger. With all the trees I've got, I can't let my wife or teenage daughters cut without having to repair the PowerFlow unit the next day, as it gets so beat up. Without it, though, I think I'll be leaving lots of clippings on the lawn.

• bill7
    14 years ago

How about mulching? Or, and I know this may be difficult, not letting the family mow.

If you are not happy with JD's bagging system, then why are you set on it? There are many different tractors and systems out there. It looks like you are willing to spend the money. Have you looked at Symplicity?

Bill

• engine_tech
    14 years ago

I'd go X324 w/48C and mulching kit. That mulcher works really well. If not, you can always add a PF bagger. Without the mulch plug installed, the mulching blades work pretty well with the PF for bagging unless it's really heavy grass.

Having a 46" deck in the past, I don't think you'd be happy with a smaller deck.

• freddyfast9
    13 years ago

I have a 2010 x320 with 48" deck and I don't even need to mulch due to the quality of this deck/cutting system. It's a very comfortable ride and it pulls a 850lb OSI yard roller like it's not even there and that is on 3.5 acres of inclines and hills and the tractor weighs 598lbs I am 240lbs and I have 90lbs in the tires for ballast so the x320 is a very capable tractor.

• erober1_roadrunner_com
    13 years ago

I purchased a 300R because of the rear bagger and its ease of emptying. It works great on dry grass (if you don't let it grow more than4" high and on short dry grass and leaves, although it does not cut off when the catcher gets full. It plugs up instead.

If the grass gets too long or is the least bit damp, the mower does not have enough power to push the heavy grass into the catcher. Although it has a removeable chute to help clean out the plugged mower, it is a real pain to fix.

I wish I had purchased a side ejection mower or one with enough power to do the job as advertised.

• Joe1980
    13 years ago

I have the John Deere X320, bought in 2006. It has a 48" 3 blade deck, which I put the mulching kit on, including mulching blades. I live on a hillside, and have some steep hills. I've never had any problems at all, including when I pull around my 48" core aerator and trailor full of who knows what. I did put two of the suitcase weights on the back to help with traction on the hills. I also have many blue spruces to mow around, so I slapped a grill gaurd on the front, which actually does help, even though I wanted it for the cool look. The cut is good, but I follow a pattern, so it looks better. I keep the mowing height at 2.75", which is healthier for the lawn, but is also the lowest I can go before I get too close to scalping on the hill crests. The deck is easy enough to take off and put on, but leveling the deck is a pain, although not hard to do. As for leaving grass clumps with the mulch deck, well, it ONLY happens when I have let the lawn grow too long, and it is wet. In that case, I just drive over it a 2nd time and it goes away. All in all, I am VERY happy with my X320, and really enjoy mowing with it. Oh, and about the 4-wheel steer, I was told by the guy at the dealership to avoid it if you have steep hills, as you risk a rollover if you have to turn on a hill, which I do.

Joe

• nysff
    12 years ago

Why not leave the clippings on the lawn? I've got GT225 I picked up used a couple years ago. I run 48" side discharge with gators in the fall with my Cyclone Rake. I like the cut of the 48" and the size. The clippings are pretty small with gators. For the summer, I run 42M mulcher. I like that deck as well, very hard to over-run it's capability as a mulcher. Do to the extra width, I'm tempted to run the 48" all year.

I'd look at a x320 with 48" and as had been stated, you can always go back to the PF. Personally, I would not be happy with only 42" for 2 acreas (I've got max 1 acre to mow).

Also, as you state, the X320 is closing in on a X500 in price. X500 is a few steps up in hydro and gets into a real GT. I'm a fan of used, and $4K for the X320 would buy a nice, low hr X500 likely with some warranty left.
    Good luck.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!