Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccfond

Wheel Horse Raider 12 attachments

ccfond
17 years ago

I have a blade, 42" mower deck and a front mount snow thrower for my '73 Raider 12 that I'd like to sell.

What do you guys consider the best way to get rid of them? Ebay, consignment, classifieds?

What would you do?

Comments (12)

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

I sold a tractor in less than 24 hours two weeks ago using Craig's List. I had several offers. I asked $1,099 for it and struck a deal for $1,000 cash. Advertising on Craig's List is free.

-Deerslayer

• ccfond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks.

Call me dumb but I'd never heard of that site before. It looks really cool.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

I think 73 has the newer one but....

If your Raider has the old-style front hitch consisting of two pieces that bolts to either side of the frame (as opposed to a single u-shaped pieces that bolts to the front of the frame) I would be interested in buying it.

I saw an old Wheel Horse on Craig's list a couple of weeks ago and itr sold within hours, much to my Chagrin.

Of course both Craig's List and Ebay (when customer must pick it up) are greatly affected by the local market.

• ccfond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine has the u shaped front hitch. The tractor itself is not for sale, just the extra implements. I plow and mow with other machines now so now the Raider is just a utility tractor. My father bought it new and passed it on to me. It's still going strong after all these years.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

Amazing Machines they are. I see these debates about whether a tractor will hold up to going up some hill and laugh - it does not matter hydro or manual, you just need a real tractor!

I think they switched to the newer hitch in 73, so that makes sense. Does yours still have the original Kohler engine? My 1969 Charger has a 1969 Kohler K301 with original electronic ignition. Not sure how long they made those electronic ignitions but I know by the mid 70's they were back to points.

Does your 73 have the electronic ignition (has a funny looking "ignition coil" on the front left of the engine" rather than a typical automotive style coil)?

Good luck selling your implements.

• ccfond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amazing? Yes, without a doubt. This thing will pull, tow or move anything you want and it's 12hp is about even with "big box" 25hp machines. LOL
    Mine is all original but forgive me for not being as up to date on the history of the models. It does have original electric ignition (what kind I don't know) and the original engine is still hard at work. It's been maintained very well throughout it's life and shows no signs of giving up.

I relish any chance I have to bring it out of the garage to pull the aerator, dethatcher, trailer, etc... I have a 4ft drum lawn roller that I've filled with pea gravel. The wheelhorse laughs at it. Pulls it easy.

The only complaint I've ever had with the wheelhorses it the cut from the mower decks. I was just never that impressed with the overall cut.

Simplicity for the cut quality and wheelhorse for any work that needs done. FTW

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

Regarding WH quality of cut, the more recent WH 3-blade decks have a better cut than the earlier 2-blade decks. The 3-blade decks are similar to the current Simplicity decks. The key difference is that the WH decks have two wheels rather than rollers on the trailing edge of the deck. Other than that, they are basically the same.

On a relatively smooth lawn, both have a great cut. On a bumpy lawn, the Simplicity wins.

-Deerslayer

• ccfond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anyone have a pricing idea of where I should be. I listed them on Craiglist for the following prices but I'm not sure if I'm high or low on any of them.

Blower $175obo
    Blade $100obo
    Deck $100 obo

All are in good to great shape for the years. Any help appreciated.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

Looks to be in the right range. Perhaps just a little low on the blower assuming you have the idlers, belt, flag and list rod.

Balade is right in the right range. I paid $75 for mine, but have seen several go for over $100.

Assuming the deck has no rust perforations this might be a bit low, but it may take a while to sell in any case. Is this a 3 blade or a 2 blade?

• ccfond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have everything needed for proper blower operation.

The deck is a 3 blade and has no rust at all, not even surface rust.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

I would say your prices are fair and I would not go down if you get lower offers. If the same person takes all three maybe come down by $50 or less.

Good luck.

• ccfond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. It's appreciated.