Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jb3bjb3b

Poulan Tiller Surging - Off Topic

jb3bjb3b
12 years ago

Tiller with Briggs 137202-116E1 5 hp motor that starts surging after about 15 minutes of tilling. It will keep getting worse until it dies. I have cleaned carb and replaced diaphram (did not soak in cleaner). The gas tank is strange,divided into sections and had foam inside it. foam was deterioting so I removed it on the first tear down and have since cleaned the tank again. I would like to know first, what is happening mechanically when it starts surging and second, some words of wisdom on what I might try to correct it. It's garden planting time here in MS and would sure like to get it running.

Comments (4)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Do you know for sure that the fuel cap is venting?

• mownie
    12 years ago

tomplum is probably on the right track about the fuel tank cap vent hole being plugged up.
    When the cap vent is plugged, air can't enter the tank to replace the fuel that has been consumed, so a partial vacuum develops in the tank, preventing any more fuel to leave the tank (after about 10-15 minutes run).
    So the engine begins to lose power due to insufficient fuel delivery, which makes the governor react and pull the throttle plate open in an effort to restore the power (RPM) and that's when the surging begins.
    Well....you wanted to know :^)

• jb3bjb3b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys for the info and yes i did want to understand what was happening. I did replace the gas cap but it didn't help. I bought one of the aftermarket caps at Home Depot. When I'm using the tiller some gas, not a lot, comes out around the cap. Is this normal. It was doing this prior to changing the cap. Maybe the new cap is defective. I probably should have went to a parts store and picked up a cap. The information on this forum is great. In the past month I have replaced a chain in my craftsman rear tine tiller transmission, replaced the sump gasket in my Craftsman 3000 lawn tractor, and reworked the carbs on both of my chain saws and now this surging problem. When it rains it pours. I got the courage to tackle all this from reading the posts here. It's great to have some backup. I'm heading out to my 50th class reunion and will pick up a new cap first of the week. Thanks again.

• mownie
    12 years ago

I guess it is possible that you still have some blockage in the carb circuits.
    I'm pretty sure that the compartments, and the foam/sponge material in the tank are to minimize fuel splash and subsequent leakage out the cap vent or cap threads (think: EPA mandated for reducing evaporative emissions maybe).
    As this is a flat head engine, I wonder if the combustion chamber might be due for a cleaning and de-carbon service.
    I also wonder if the fuel pick up tube has loosened and perhaps starts sucking air when the fuel tank level drops just a bit. This could maybe be tested by filling the tank back up to the top and see if the engine will run OK for another little while.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting